Friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum number of times a rope must be wrapped around a stationary horizontal rod in order to hold up a suspended weight. The coefficient of static friction between the rope and rod is given as 0.5, and the rope is assumed to be massless and vertical at both ends. The solution involves using the Capstan equation to derive a formula for the minimum angle, which is found to be 4.6 radians. Since this is greater than pi radians, the rope must loop an extra time around the rod so the angle will be 3 pi radians.
TheLil'Turkey

Homework Statement

A 100 kg man holds up a 1000 kg weight by holding on to a rope that is wrapped around a stationary horizontal rod whose other end is tied to the suspended weight. If the coefficient of static friction between the rope and rod is 0.5, what is the minimum number of times that the rope must be wrapped around the rod?
Edit: Assume the rope is massless.
Edit 2: The rope that is not in contact with the stationary rod is vertical.

Homework Equations

F(friction) = μ*m(weight)*g*θ/2∏, m(man)*g+F(friction)=m(weight)*g

The Attempt at a Solution

If the equations I wrote are correct, the problem is easy to solve, but I think they might be wrong. Could someone please explain why they are or aren't correct? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force between the rope and the rod is not the weight of the suspended mass. It will not even be constant along the section of rope touching the rod.
You need to use calculus. Consider a short section of rope around the circumference of the rod making angle dθ at the centre. The tension is T(θ) at one end and T(θ+dθ) at the other. Deduce the normal force and hence the max frictional force. Get an equation relating that to T(θ) etc.

Likes Poetria
When a rope is wrapped around a pole, things get a bit more interesting. The governing equation that you want is called the Capstan Equation. (Which can be derived with a bit of calculus.)

I forgot to mention that the rope is massless in the problem. I believe that in this case the normal force per unit angle will be constant along the section of rope touching the rod, right?

TheLil'Turkey said:
I forgot to mention that the rope is massless in the problem. I believe that in this case the normal force per unit angle will be constant along the section of rope touching the rod, right?

The rod is stationary, so it does not matter if massless or not. The rope can slide on it, friction between the rope and rod opposes sliding.

ehild

ehild said:
The rope can slide on it, friction between the rope and rod opposes sliding.
ehild
... so if you consider a short section of the rope, the friction is acting along the rope. It follows that the tension at one end is different from that at the other.

Thank you very much haruspex and Doc Al. I just finished deriving the correct formula and answering the question. The minimum angle is 4.6 radians. Since this is greater than pi radians, the rope has to loop an extra time around the rod so the angle will be 3 pi radians (since the rope is vertical at both ends).

ehild, if you want to understand the problem, this youtube video might help: I found it much clearer than the derivation on wikipedia.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheLil'Turkey said:
ehild, if you want to understand the problem, this youtube video might help: I found it much clearer than the derivation on wikipedia.

I think ehild understands it already :smile:.

Last edited by a moderator:
haruspex said:

Well, I derived the formula before anybody answered, but was not sure it was correct. It was too simple. :biggrin:

ehild

haruspex said:
:-p

Thanks for the link, Doc. I never heard Capstan equation before. :smile:

ehild

Related to Friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod

1. How does the friction of a rope change when wound around a stationary rod?

The friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod depends on the tension applied to the rope and the diameter of the rod. As the tension increases, the friction also increases. However, as the diameter of the rod increases, the friction decreases.

2. What factors affect the friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod?

The friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod is affected by several factors such as the material of the rope, the surface texture of the rod, the angle at which the rope is wound, and the weight of the object being lifted by the rope.

3. How can the friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod be reduced?

The friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod can be reduced by using a lubricant on the surface of the rod, using a smoother and less textured rope, and reducing the tension on the rope.

4. Can the friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod be calculated?

Yes, the friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction between the rope and the rod, and N is the normal force exerted by the rope on the rod.

5. How does the friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod affect the efficiency of lifting an object?

The friction of a rope wound around a stationary rod can decrease the efficiency of lifting an object by increasing the amount of force required to lift the object. It can also cause wear and tear on the rope and the rod, reducing their lifespan.