Friction & Forces - Calculate Force on Wheaties Box

In summary: I thought that the coefficient of friction was the same for both boxes, but now I see that is not the case.
thegoosegirl42

Homework Statement

A box of Cheerios and a box of Wheaties are accelerated across a horizontal surface by a horizontal force F applied to the Cheerios box. The magnitude of the frictional force on the Cheerios box is 2N, and the magnitude of the frictional force on the Wheaties box is 4N. If the magnitude of F is 12N, what is the magnitude of the force on the Wheaties box from the Cheerios box.

Homework Equations

Friction=uN
F=ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a=F/m
12-2-4=6
a=6/(C+W) ----- I am using C and W to represent the mass of the different boxes.
Cgu=2
Wgu=4
However I don't know where to use substitution on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the coefficient of kinetic friction is the same for both boxes, how does the mass of the cheerios box compare with the mass of the wheaties box? Once you know this, draw a free body diagram of the wheaties box, and write down the force balance equation for the wheaties box.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If the coefficient of kinetic friction is the same for both boxes, how does the mass of the cheerios box compare with the mass of the wheaties box? Once you know this, draw a free body diagram of the wheaties box, and write down the force balance equation for the wheaties box.

Chet
I didn't think that the frictional forces were equal but if they are the mass of the bigger one is twice that of the smaller one.

thegoosegirl42 said:
I didn't think that the frictional forces were equal but if they are the mass of the bigger one is twice that of the smaller one.
The equations you wrote in post #1 imply that you do think the coefficients of friction are equal.

Let's see the force balance from your free body diagram of the wheaties box.

Chet

thegoosegirl42 said:

Chet said "coefficient of kinetic friction" not "frictional forces". There is a difference.

CWatters said:
Chet said "coefficient of kinetic friction" not "frictional forces". There is a difference.
Yeah, I meant coefficient of friction but I didn't realize until I replied and by then it was too late. :-(

Chestermiller said:
The equations you wrote in post #1 imply that you do think the coefficients of friction are equal.

Let's see the force balance from your free body diagram of the wheaties box.

Chet
Thank you so much. I guess I was just reading too far into the problem.

Related to Friction & Forces - Calculate Force on Wheaties Box

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It occurs due to the microscopic roughness of surfaces and the interlocking of their irregularities.

2. How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between two surfaces by the normal force, which is the force exerted by one surface on the other. The formula is F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction depends on the type of surfaces in contact, the amount of force pressing the surfaces together, and the smoothness or roughness of the surfaces. It also depends on the presence of any lubricants or other materials between the surfaces.

4. How does friction affect the motion of objects?

Friction can either increase or decrease the speed of an object, depending on its direction. When an object is moving, friction acts in the opposite direction and slows it down. However, friction also allows us to walk, drive, and perform many other tasks by providing the necessary grip and traction.

5. Why is friction important in everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It helps us walk, write, and perform various tasks without slipping or sliding. It is also necessary for the operation of machines and vehicles, such as cars, trains, and planes. Friction also has practical applications in sports, such as bowling and curling, where it is used to control the motion of objects.