Friction between a crate and an accelerating truck

In summary, a 200kg crate loaded with priceless art objects is placed in a 2000kg truck. The truck is propelled forward by a force, Ft. To prevent the crate from sliding, the maximum magnitude of the force must be equal to the net force acting on the truck, which is determined by the static and kinetic coefficient of friction between the crate and the bed of the truck. By considering the two boxes as a single system, the maximum force needed for the acceleration can be calculated by using the combined mass of the truck and crate.
tascja

Homework Statement

you and your friend have just loaded a 200kg crate filled with priceless art object into the back of a 2000kg truck. As you press down on accelerator, a force, Ft, propels the truck forward. What is the max magnitude the force can have without the crate sliding? The static and kinetic coefficient of friction between the crate and the bed of the truck are 0.8 and 0.3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what i have for my FBD
The crate:
>normal force acting up
>gravitational force acting down
>static force acting to the right

The truck:
> Ft acting to the right
>gravitational force acting down (includes both the weight of the crate and the truck)
>normal for acting up

I think that as the truck accelerates to the right the crate would want to slip to the left, and the friction would oppose this motion (acting to the right) and stops the sliding. but can someone explain how i can connect the two FBD to relate Ft to the friction force?

Physics news on Phys.org
tascja said:
Here is what i have for my FBD
The crate:
>normal force acting up
>gravitational force acting down
>static force acting to the right
Good.

The truck:
> Ft acting to the right
>gravitational force acting down (includes both the weight of the crate and the truck)
>normal for acting up
OK, but strictly speaking the weight of the crate is transmitted to the truck as a downward normal force. (The gravitational force of the crate acts only on the crate.)
I think that as the truck accelerates to the right the crate would want to slip to the left, and the friction would oppose this motion (acting to the right) and stops the sliding. but can someone explain how i can connect the two FBD to relate Ft to the friction force?
Hint: What's the maximum force that the truck can exert on the crate without slipping? What acceleration would that imply?

ok so i decided to look at this as just two boxes on top of one another...

so on the upper box the only force being applied in the x direction is the friction
so Fnet = ma
ma = μFn
(200)a = (0.8)(1960)
a = 7.84 m/s^2

so I am not sure if i can assume that both boxes then have the same acceleration? but if i can then:
For the lower box:
Fnet = ma
= (2000)(7.84)
= 15680 N
therefore the max magnitude of Ft = 15680 N

tascja said:
ok so i decided to look at this as just two boxes on top of one another...

so on the upper box the only force being applied in the x direction is the friction
so Fnet = ma
ma = μFn
(200)a = (0.8)(1960)
a = 7.84 m/s^2
Good!

so I am not sure if i can assume that both boxes then have the same acceleration?
Well... if they don't slip, they must move together.

but if i can then:
For the lower box:
Fnet = ma
= (2000)(7.84)
= 15680 N
therefore the max magnitude of Ft = 15680 N
That's the net force on the truck. Don't forget that the crate also exerts a backward friction force on the truck. (I forgot to point that out on your FBD for the truck--you were missing that force.)

An even easier way to view it is to now treat "truck + crate" as a single system. What force is required to give it the needed acceleration?

Doc Al said:
What force is required to give it the needed acceleration?

is just including both their masses in the Fnet sufficient?

tascja said:
is just including both their masses in the Fnet sufficient?
Yes. Assuming you mean Fnet = (m1 + m2)*a = Applied force Ft.

thank you for all your help Doc Al! =)

Related to Friction between a crate and an accelerating truck

1. What is friction between a crate and an accelerating truck?

Friction between a crate and an accelerating truck refers to the resistance force that occurs when the crate and the truck come into contact and move relative to each other. This frictional force acts in the opposite direction to the direction of motion and can affect the acceleration and movement of the crate.

2. Why does friction occur between a crate and an accelerating truck?

Friction occurs between a crate and an accelerating truck due to the microscopic irregularities on the surface of both objects. When the two surfaces come into contact, these irregularities interlock and create resistance, resulting in friction.

3. How does the mass of the crate and the truck affect the friction force?

The mass of the crate and the truck does not directly affect the friction force between them. However, the weight of the objects can contribute to the normal force, which is the force pressing the two surfaces together and can affect the amount of friction.

4. Can the amount of friction be reduced between a crate and an accelerating truck?

Yes, the amount of friction can be reduced through various methods, such as using a lubricant between the surfaces or choosing materials with smoother surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight of the objects or decreasing the normal force can also decrease the amount of friction.

5. How does friction between a crate and an accelerating truck impact the movement of the objects?

The friction between a crate and an accelerating truck can cause the objects to move at a slower rate than they would without friction. It can also cause the objects to heat up due to the energy that is dissipated as heat from the frictional force. This frictional force can also affect the acceleration and direction of motion of the objects.