Frequently Made Errors in Vectors - Elementary Use - Comments

In summary, the PF Insights post "Frequently Made Errors in Vectors - Elementary Use" discusses some common mistakes that are made when using vectors. The author mentions the importance of considering the point of application for vectors such as force, and also points out that while position, velocity, and acceleration can be described by vectors, they are not always completely characterized by them. The post also emphasizes the importance of considering the tangent space for more general vector concepts.
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
haruspex submitted a new PF Insights post

Frequently Made Errors in Vectors - Elementary Use

physics_vectors-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, Qwertywerty and Drakkith
Physics news on Phys.org
Generally good insight as usual, but I feel I must nitpick a bit here, since you are mentioning the issue of vectors belonging to a position:
Some physical entities that behave as vectors are not completely characterised by their vectors. A force not only has magnitude and direction but also a point of application (a second vector). On the other hand, position, velocity, acceleration, and further time derivatives are each completely described by their vectors.

While this may be true for the most basic use of vectors in terms of vectors in a Euclidean space, it is not generally true. For the more general vector concept, every vector is associated with a position and belongs to the tangent (or cotangent) space at that position.

Position is generally not a vector. Velocity belongs to the tangent space at the position of the object, as does acceleration. In a Euclidean space the position of the velocity vector may often be ignored as parallel transport is trivial, but consider movement on a sphere (such as the Earth's surface) for example.

Likes vanhees71
What an incredible resource this series has become!

Related to Frequently Made Errors in Vectors - Elementary Use - Comments

1. What are some common errors made when using vectors in elementary science?

Some common errors when using vectors in elementary science include not understanding the concept of magnitude and direction, not properly defining the coordinate system, mixing up the order of vector operations, and not accounting for vector components.

2. How can I avoid making errors when using vectors in my experiments?

To avoid errors when using vectors, make sure to have a clear understanding of the basic principles of vectors, such as magnitude and direction. It is also important to carefully define the coordinate system and double-check all vector operations for accuracy. Practice and familiarity with vector use can also help prevent mistakes.

3. What are some consequences of using vectors incorrectly in scientific experiments?

Using vectors incorrectly in scientific experiments can result in inaccurate data and conclusions. It can also lead to confusion and mistakes in calculations, which can affect the overall validity of the experiment.

4. How can I improve my vector skills in elementary science?

To improve your vector skills in elementary science, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with the basic principles and operations. It can also be helpful to seek additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to deepen your understanding and improve your techniques.

5. Are there any helpful tips for using vectors in elementary science?

Some helpful tips for using vectors in elementary science include: always defining the coordinate system, breaking down vectors into components when necessary, using visual aids such as diagrams or sketches, and double-checking all calculations and operations.