Frequencies & Waves Homework Solutions

In summary: If we ignore tension and mu, then the fundamental frequency of the wire would be ____ Hz.ffork: If we are looking for the frequency of the tuning fork, then we need to find the wave speed, which is v^2. So the equation that we need to use would be v^2*mu = T.
asz304

Homework Statement

1)A stretched wire vibrates in its first normal mode at a frequency of 383 Hz. What would be the fundamental frequency if the wire were one fourth as long, its diameter were quadrupled, and its tension were increased four-fold?

2)A 0.0125 kg, 1.88 m long wire is fixed at both ends and vibrates in its simplest mode under a tension of 218 N. When a tuning fork is placed near the wire, a beat frequency of 5.10 Hz is heard. The beat frequency increase as the the tension of the wire decreases; what is the frequency of the tuning fork?

Homework Equations

For question 1:
f = 1/2L ( sqrt( T/mu)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to start in these two questions, given with a diameter in part 1, but I know the formula to use. And I'm not sure what equation I am going to use for question 2.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
asz304 said:

Homework Equations

For question 1:
f = 1/2L ( sqrt( T/mu)
Okay, can you answer this: what would be the fundamental frequency if the wire were one fourth as long, and nothing else changed?

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to start in these two questions, given with a diameter in part 1, but I know the formula to use. And I'm not sure what equation I am going to use for question 2.
Your textbook or class lecture notes should have a discussion of beat frequencies, along with an equation or two.

In part one, if only the length is changed, the equation would become

f = [tex]2/L[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{T/mu}[/tex])

In part two, I checked my notes and saw f[beat] = f2- f1
I have f1 but I don't have f2. So I guess I should use v^2*mu = T? then what should I do next? or is there another equation that relates tension with frequency?

Thanks

Question #1

asz304 said:
In part one, if only the length is changed, the equation would become

f = [tex]2/L[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{T/mu}[/tex])
Okay, so in that case the fundamental frequency would be ____ Hz?

Question #2

In part two, I checked my notes and saw f[beat] = f2- f1
Yes, good, though actually there should be an absolute value sign there:
f[beat] = |f2- f1|
I have f1 but I don't have f2.
As far as I can tell, you don't really have f1, do you? fbeat was given, but not f1 or f2.

So I guess I should use v^2*mu = T? then what should I do next?
Well, how exactly do you plan to use that equation? What new information will you get from using it?

or is there another equation that relates tension with frequency?
Not that I'm aware of.

But in question 1, I'm not given with tension or mu. Is it possible to get the f?

In question 2:

I thought I would be able to get lambda with string speed, but when I check the other equation again to get lambda I would need wave speed not string speed...So I guess the equation that I mentioned was wrong.

In question 1 again, Do I need to find the length first using the frequency while ignoring mu and tension? I also know the length of the in the first frequency is the same as the length in the 2nd frequency when the length becomes one fourth as long.

Thanks

#1:

You do not need to know the length, tension, or mu.

In the problem statement we are told that (1/2L) · (sqrt( T/mu)) is equal to ____(?)

If the length is one fourth as long, then the new frequency (2/L)·( sqrt( T/mu)) would be ____(?) times as much.

Fill in those blanks.

Redbelly98 said:
#1:

You do not need to know the length, tension, or mu.

In the problem statement we are told that (1/2L) · (sqrt( T/mu)) is equal to ____(?)

If the length is one fourth as long, then the new frequency (2/L)·( sqrt( T/mu)) would be ____(?) times as much.

Fill in those blanks.

First blank: 383 Hz

Second blank: 1532 Hz. 4 times as much

asz304 said:
First blank: 383 Hz

Second blank: 1532 Hz. 4 times as much
Good, it looks like you have the idea. Can you apply that same reasoning to

1. increasing the tension 4-fold?
2. quadrupling the diameter (think about how that would affect mu)?

If the tension is four-fold, then the new frequency would be 766 Hz ( twice as much ).

If the diameter is quadrupled, then the new frequency would be 191.5 Hz ( half as much ).

EDIT: I got the answer! its 766 Hz thanks :D.

Question 2:

f[beat] = | f2 - f1 |

I didnt know that 5.10 Hz was the beat frequency. So I guess I won't use the formula using speed. How should I start with this question?

Thanks again

Last edited:
We know that fbeat = |fwire - ffork|

We want ffork. So we need to know the values of the other terms in the equation in order to get ffork.

Related to Frequencies & Waves Homework Solutions

1. What are frequencies and waves?

Frequencies and waves are two concepts that are closely related in the field of science. Frequencies refer to the rate at which a wave oscillates or repeats itself in a given period of time. Waves, on the other hand, are disturbances that travel through a medium, such as air or water, and transfer energy from one point to another. In simpler terms, frequencies and waves are the measurement and manifestation of energy.

2. How are frequencies and waves measured?

Frequencies are measured in units called hertz (Hz), which represent the number of cycles or oscillations per second. For example, a frequency of 100 Hz means that a wave repeats itself 100 times in one second. Waves, on the other hand, are measured in units of length, such as meters or centimeters. The length of a wave is called its wavelength and is often represented by the Greek letter lambda (λ).

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

The relationship between frequency and wavelength is inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation: speed of wave = frequency x wavelength. This means that for a given medium, the speed of a wave remains constant, while the frequency and wavelength vary.

4. How do frequencies and waves affect our daily lives?

Frequencies and waves have a significant impact on our daily lives. They are used in various technologies, such as radio and television broadcasting, cell phones, and Wi-Fi. They are also crucial in medical imaging techniques like X-rays and MRI scans. In addition, frequencies and waves are responsible for natural phenomena like sound, light, and seismic waves, which are essential for communication, navigation, and understanding our environment.

5. Can frequencies and waves be harmful?

While frequencies and waves have many beneficial uses, they can also be harmful. High-frequency waves, such as UV rays and gamma rays, can cause damage to living cells and tissues, leading to sunburns and even cancer. Additionally, exposure to high levels of electromagnetic radiation can interfere with electronic devices and cause health problems. Therefore, it is essential to understand and control the frequencies and waves around us to minimize potential harm.