Freq. of small oscillations in two pendulums

In summary: So, if wII is the frequency for pendulum II and LII is the length of pendulum II, and wI is the frequency for pendulum I and LI is the length of pendulum I:wII/wI = sqrt(4/3)/sqrt(1/1) = sqrt(4/3)
ejs12006

Homework Statement

Consider two pendulums, I and II. I consists of a bob of mass 2m at the end of a rod of length L. II consists of one bob of mass m at the end of a rod of length L and another bob of mass m halfway up the road, at L/2. What is the ratio of the frequency of small oscillations of pendulum II to that of pendulum I?

Homework Equations

As far as I know, for small oscillations, the frequency is given by sqrt(g/L), where g is the acceleration of gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum. Therefore, the frequency of small oscillations is proportional to sqrt(1/L).

The Attempt at a Solution

if wII is the frequency for pendulum II and LII is the length of pendulum II, and wI is the frequency for pendulum I and LI is the length of pendulum I:

wII/wI = sqrt(1/LII)/sqrt(1/LI)

As I understand it, for an ideal pendulum, L refers to the position of the bob. The way I saw it, the "Bob" of pendulum II is located at the center of mass of the two Bobs. since one is at L and the other is at L/2, the center of mass is at 3L/4. Therefore:

wII/wI = sqrt(4/3)/sqrt(1/1) = sqrt(4/3)

However, the answer is actually sqrt(6/5) ! Any Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe consider the frequency of a compound pendulum.

f = (m*g*L / I)1/2/ (2 * π)

Aren't you going to want to be interested in the moment of inertia and not just the center of mass?

Edit: as davieddy points out the L in this case is the distance to the center of mass

Last edited:
L (in your formula) is the distance of the center of mass from the pivot,
not the L specified in the question.

davieddy said:
L (in your formula) is the distance of the center of mass from the pivot,
not the L specified in the question.

Thanks for the clarification.

Related to Freq. of small oscillations in two pendulums

1. What is the frequency of small oscillations in two pendulums?

The frequency of small oscillations in two pendulums is determined by the length of the pendulums and the force of gravity. It is given by the formula f = 1/(2π) * √(g/L), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and L is the length of the pendulum. This frequency is independent of the mass of the pendulum.

2. How does the frequency of small oscillations change when the length of the pendulums is varied?

As the length of the pendulums increases, the frequency of small oscillations decreases. This is because the longer the pendulum, the slower it swings back and forth due to the force of gravity being applied over a longer distance. Similarly, a shorter pendulum will have a higher frequency of small oscillations due to the force of gravity being applied over a shorter distance.

3. What factors can affect the frequency of small oscillations in two pendulums?

The frequency of small oscillations in two pendulums can be affected by the length of the pendulums, the force of gravity, and the angle at which the pendulums are released. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the frequency, but these are typically negligible in simple pendulum systems.

4. Can the frequency of small oscillations in two pendulums be changed once the pendulums are in motion?

No, once the pendulums are in motion, the frequency of small oscillations cannot be changed. The only way to change the frequency is to alter the length of the pendulums or the force of gravity acting on them.

5. How does the frequency of small oscillations in two pendulums compare to that of a single pendulum?

The frequency of small oscillations in two pendulums is the same as that of a single pendulum with the same length. This is because both systems are governed by the same formula, and the mass of the pendulum does not affect the frequency. However, in a two pendulum system, the frequency can be affected by the interaction between the two pendulums, resulting in a slightly different frequency compared to a single pendulum of the same length.