Free Time as a Graduate Student?

In summary, getting organized and finding time for leisure can be difficult as a grad student, but there are various ways to cope.
Artus
I know Graduate School is hard and full of activities (Coursework, TA, RA,...), but I was asking to myself if there is a way to have some time to get a hobby to cope with the stress of studies. I was thinking about things like Sports, Music, or Home Improvement. Is there a way to get organized so anyone can get things done and have available time for fun and leisure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Artus said:
I know Graduate School is hard and full of activities (Coursework, TA, RA,...), but I was asking to myself if there is a way to have some time to get a hobby to cope with the stress of studies. I was thinking about things like Sports, Music, or Home Improvement. Is there a way to get organized so anyone can get things done and have available time for fun and leisure?
At university, I used to go out with colleagues for burgers and beer. We had a group that got together, particularly on Friday afternoon for beer tasting in conjunction with dinner. Others would go and indulge in margaritas and Mexican food.

Sometimes we'd go get pizza or Italian food.

Our faculty would often host dinners for various grad students, and some would have pool parties.

On weekends, some of use would play football (American or soccer) or baseball.

I'd often go watch trains which rolled through the town as well as others north or west of us.

One should be able to join a student group affiliated with a national scientific or technical society. I happened to belong to several as a grad student, and that was another way to interact with other students as well as faculty.

Off campus, and on some campuses, there are religious or church groups one could join, particularly on the weekend - usually for lunch - and sometimes dinner.

It's great to know. Some sports require a schedule because, after all, you're not a professional athlete but a Graduate student. Weekend events are great because you can share ideas and worries with student partners. Thank you so much for your answer.

When I was a grad student, I got into bicycle touring because I usually rode my bike between my apartment and the lab. I joined the local bicycle touring club and went on their group rides most Saturday and Sunday mornings when the weather was good. Or if their ride didn't look suitable for me, I rode by myself. On Saturday I would usually ride 25-40 miles in the morning, then go to the lab for the afternoon, and hang out with some fellow grad students in the evening (eat dinner, play video games, go to a movie, etc.).

Sounds like you had a nice time among all those academic activities. Thank you!

Related to Free Time as a Graduate Student?

What is considered free time as a graduate student?

Free time as a graduate student refers to any time that is not dedicated to academic or research responsibilities. This can include evenings, weekends, and breaks between semesters.

Do graduate students have a lot of free time?

It depends on the individual student and their specific program and workload. Some graduate students may have more free time than others, but it is important to remember that graduate school is a full-time commitment and free time may be limited.

How should I prioritize my free time as a graduate student?

It is important to prioritize self-care and mental health during free time as a graduate student. This can include activities such as exercise, spending time with friends and family, or pursuing hobbies and interests outside of academia. It is also important to use free time for rest and relaxation to prevent burnout.

Can free time be used for academic pursuits as a graduate student?

While it is important to have a balance between academic and personal time, free time can also be used for academic pursuits such as attending conferences, conducting research, or networking with other professionals in your field. However, it is important to make sure that free time is not solely dedicated to academic responsibilities.

How can I make the most of my free time as a graduate student?

It is important to find a balance between productivity and relaxation during free time as a graduate student. This can include setting goals for yourself, scheduling your free time, and finding activities that bring you joy and help you recharge. It is also important to be mindful of your workload and not overcommit to activities that may add unnecessary stress.