Free surface charge density (not bound density)

In summary, the problem involves a parallel plate capacitor with 2 plates separated by a dielectric of relative permittivity 5.0, with a distance of 0.20mm between the plates and an area of 5.0 cm2. The potential difference between the plates is 500V, and the task is to calculate the free surface charge density. The approach involves using boundary conditions and the formula D = epsilon x E, where D is the electric displacement and E is the electric field. By solving for E using V = E x d and then calculating D, the surface charge density can be determined. However, this method does not account for fringing effects.
Roodles01

Homework Statement

a parallel plate capacitor has 2 plates separated by a dielectric of rel. permittivity 5.0 are separated by 0.20mm and have area of 5.0 cm2.
Potential difference between the plates is 500V.

I need to be able to calculate the free surface charge density.

Homework Equations

I'm assuming Dout = Din

From boundary conditions D1 ┴ = D2
and D2 ┴ - D1 ┴ = σf

Could someone just confirm what the boundary conditions are so I can say that the free surface charge density is zero or not!

The Attempt at a Solution

I have Dout = Din = ε0Ein + P
so from calculations
P = 4.43x10-9 - (8.85x10-12 x 100)
P = 3.54x10-9 Cm-2

Could I just say;
D1 ┴ = D2 ┴ so there is zero free surface charge density!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I should have said.
D1 ┴ is the electric displacement in media 1 perpendicular to a boundary with a different media
D2 ┴ is the electric displacement in media 1 perpendicular to a boundary with a different media

They form the boundary condition
Roodles01 said:
Dout = Din
could have been
D1 = D2.

and P is the polarization of the material.

I don't know what you mean by "different media" or "Dout" vs. "Din". There is only one medium, the dielectric of epsilon_relative = 5.

D is continuous from one medium to another along the plates' normal even if there were two or more media, but there aren't.

So V = E x d, d = 0.2mm so you know E.
Then, D = epsilon x E.
And if you know D you know the surface charge density, right?

This ignores fringing effects of course which you have to do since they didn't give you the dimensions of the plates.

Related to Free surface charge density (not bound density)

1. What is free surface charge density?

Free surface charge density is the amount of electric charge per unit area that exists on the surface of an object. It is typically denoted as σ and is measured in units of coulombs per square meter (C/m²).

2. How is free surface charge density different from bound charge density?

Free surface charge density refers to the charge that is present on the surface of an object, while bound charge density refers to the charge that is contained within the material of the object. Free surface charge density is typically caused by the movement of electrons, while bound charge density is caused by the alignment of charges within a material.

3. What factors can affect the free surface charge density of an object?

The free surface charge density of an object can be affected by several factors, including the material of the object, the shape and size of the object, and the electric field surrounding the object. It can also be affected by the presence of other charges in the vicinity.

4. How is free surface charge density measured?

Free surface charge density can be measured using various techniques, such as the Kelvin probe method, the electric field gradient method, or the capacitance-voltage method. These methods involve measuring the electric potential or electric field at the surface of the object and using mathematical equations to calculate the free surface charge density.

5. Why is free surface charge density important in scientific research?

Free surface charge density is an important concept in scientific research, particularly in the fields of electrochemistry and materials science. It plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of materials and their interactions with electric fields. It is also important in studying the properties and performance of electronic devices and can be used to design and optimize their functionality.