Free radicals liquid used in magnetometer

In summary, the conversation discussed magnetometers based on the Overhauser effect, which use a free radical fluid to measure magnetic fields. The free radical liquid used in commercial models is typically a solution of nitroxide radicals, which is relatively stable and non-toxic. However, safety precautions should still be followed when handling these solutions. The speaker offered to answer any other questions about magnetometers or other scientific topics.
flm
Hi all,

I am learning about magnetometers. Esp. those based on the Overhauser effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Overhauser_effect). As I understand, they embed a free radical fluid that contains free electrons that gets polarized through a RF field. Do you have any idea what free radical liquid is used in commercial models ? I do not see any toxicity warning in datasheet I browsed so far (http://www.gemsys.ca/products/rugged-overhauser-magnetometer/)

Thanks a lot for your ideas !

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am glad to hear that you are learning about magnetometers, specifically those based on the Overhauser effect. The Overhauser effect is a phenomenon in which the nuclear spins of certain atoms become aligned in the presence of an external magnetic field. This effect is used in magnetometers to measure magnetic fields.

In terms of the free radical fluid used in commercial models, it is typically a solution of nitroxide radicals. These radicals are relatively stable and non-toxic, which is why you did not see any toxicity warnings in the datasheet you browsed. However, it is always important to handle these solutions with care and follow proper safety precautions.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further inquiries about magnetometers or other scientific topics, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Free radicals liquid used in magnetometer

1. What are free radicals?

Free radicals are unstable molecules that have an unpaired electron in their outer shell. This makes them highly reactive and they can cause damage to cells and tissues in the body.

2. How is free radicals liquid used in a magnetometer?

The free radicals liquid is used as a polarizing agent in the magnetometer. It is mixed with the sample being tested and the resulting signal is used to determine the magnetic properties of the sample.

3. What are the benefits of using free radicals in a magnetometer?

Using free radicals in a magnetometer allows for more sensitive and accurate measurements of magnetic properties. It also allows for the detection of weak magnetic fields that cannot be measured with traditional methods.

4. Are there any risks associated with using free radicals in a magnetometer?

While free radicals are generally safe to handle, there is a potential risk of exposure to high levels of radiation during the polarizing process. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and guidelines when working with free radicals.

5. Can free radicals be used in other scientific applications besides magnetometers?

Yes, free radicals have various uses in chemistry, biology, and medicine. They are often used as catalysts in chemical reactions and as imaging agents in medical procedures. They also play a role in cellular signaling and can be used to study oxidative stress in the body.