Free particle wave function confusion.

In summary, a free particle wave function is a mathematical representation of a particle's behavior in quantum mechanics when it is not confined to a potential well or bound to another particle. It describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain location and time. The main difference between the free particle wave function and the wave function of a confined particle is that the former has no potential energy term while the latter does, leading to differences in energy levels. Confusion surrounding the free particle wave function may arise due to its counterintuitive nature and complex mathematical equations. Limitations of the free particle wave function include its applicability only to non-relativistic particles and particles not affected by external forces. It cannot be used to describe all particles, as many real
Oz123
Member reminded to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hi! I'm currently studying Griffith's fantastic book on QM, and I'm confused for a bit about the wave function for a free particle.
Here's what I think so far; for a free particle, there are no stationary states, so therefore we can't solve the SE with
ψ(x)=Aeikx+Be-ikx

That is, we can't write a discrete sum. But We can have solutions as:

ψ(x,t)=∫dkφ(k)ei(kx-ωt)

I don't know if my understanding is correct, so please tell me so. Now, I assume that this understanding is correct and get to the question: If the solutions can only be the latter, then why was the solution from the book for the scattering states in the delta function potential a sum of stationary states and not the continuous sum? Also, why is it the same for the bound states if we are solving for the free particle when x<0 and x>0? Is it because it has a potential at x=0?
Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oz123 said:
Here's what I think so far; for a free particle, there are no stationary states, so therefore we can't solve the SE with
ψ(x)=Aeikx+Be-ikx
These functions do solve the Schrödinger equation, but they are not normalisable and therefore not actually in the relevant Hilbert space of square integrable functions.

Oz123 said:
If the solutions can only be the latter, then why was the solution from the book for the scattering states in the delta function potential a sum of stationary states and not the continuous sum?
Generally, in scattering theory, you will look at an in-state of definite momentum. Of course, the actual physical state is a superposition of such states and not a plane wave. However, in many cases, looking at just an incoming plane wave solution is a sufficiently accurate description.

Oz123 said:
Also, why is it the same for the bound states if we are solving for the free particle when x<0 and x>0? Is it because it has a potential at x=0?
Thanks in advanced!
In the case of a scattering potential, you will often have both bound and free states. The bound states correspond to energy levels with an energy lower than the energy at ##\pm\infty## and are generally discrete while the free scattering states show a continuous spectrum. In both cases you have to find the solutions to the Schrödinger equation in all of space.

Likes Oz123

Related to Free particle wave function confusion.

What is a free particle wave function?

A free particle wave function refers to the mathematical representation of a particle's behavior in quantum mechanics, specifically when the particle is not confined to a potential well or bound to another particle. It describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain location and time.

How is the free particle wave function different from the wave function of a confined particle?

The main difference is that the free particle wave function has no potential energy term, while the wave function of a confined particle has a potential energy term that affects its behavior. This means that a free particle can have a continuous range of energies, whereas a confined particle can only have discrete energy levels.

Why is there confusion surrounding the free particle wave function?

One reason for confusion is that the concept of a particle with no potential energy may seem counterintuitive. Additionally, the mathematical equations used to describe the free particle wave function can be complex and difficult to understand without a strong background in quantum mechanics.

What are the limitations of the free particle wave function?

The free particle wave function is only applicable to non-relativistic particles, meaning particles that are not moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It also assumes that the particle is not affected by any external forces or interactions.

Can the free particle wave function be used to describe all particles?

No, the free particle wave function is only applicable to particles that are truly free and not influenced by any external forces or potential energies. Many real-life particles, such as electrons in an atom, are not truly free and therefore cannot be described by the free particle wave function.