Free Fall Tennis Ball Question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum height a tennis ball can reach when thrown upward with an initial velocity and a free fall acceleration that is 6 times less than g. The relevant equations used include V=\sqrt{2gx} and ΔX=V_it + (1/2) at^2, and it is noted that the initial velocity must be the same in both cases. The conversation also considers the possibility of using any velocity or a velocity that intersects, but it is ultimately determined that the initial velocity can be found using the first Relevant Equation for the stated conditions. The conversation also mentions the symmetry of ideal free-fall trajectories with respect to time reversal.
PerryKid

Homework Statement

A tennis ball is thrown upward with and reaches height of 18 m. What maximum height can reach this ball on the where acceleration of free fall is 6 times less than g? In both cases initial velocity is same. [sic] (excuse my physics teacher's grammar, don't shoot the messenger! :-p)

g= 9.81 m/s2
x= distance or displacement
v= velocity
a=acceleration (which is g)

Max Height is at V=0

Homework Equations

[itex]V=\sqrt{2gx}[/itex]
[itex]ΔX=V_it + (1/2) at^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]9.81/6=1.64[/itex]

[itex]V^2=2(1.64)x[/itex]

Initial velocity in a free fall is 0 m/s, right? If so, v=0 and then x=0

In such a case, it would be odd for the max height to be 0 m.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the ball is thrown upward, then its initial velocity cannot be zero.

Note the formulation does not require that the initial velocity be zero; it just says it is the same in both cases.

Likes 1 person
So, I can just use any velocity?

Or must I use a velocity that intersects?

Considering time is neither given nor required, can I use

[itex]V_f = V_i+at[/itex]?

[itex]V_f=0[/itex] to find the maximum.

I use the gravities as the slope. However, the lines intersect at the origin, where time and velocity equal 0.

[itex]0 = -1.64 t[/itex]

[itex]0 = -9.81 t[/itex]

Last edited:
PerryKid said:
So, I can just use any velocity?

Or must I use a velocity that intersects?
You can find the initial velocity using your first Relevant Equation for the stated conditions that the ball reaches a height of 18 m when gravity is g.

Note that you are taking advantage of the fact that ideal free-fall trajectories are symmetric with respect to time reversal, so if a ball launched upwards with some velocity V reaches maximum height H, then a ball dropped from height H will reach a final velocity V just before impact with the ground.

Does that really matter what the initial velocity is numerically? You know it is the same. That means the initial kinetic energy is the same.

Related to Free Fall Tennis Ball Question

What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity alone. This means that there are no other forces acting on the object, such as air resistance.

What is the acceleration of a free falling object?

The acceleration of a free falling object is always constant and is equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) on Earth.

How does the height of a free falling object affect its velocity?

The height of a free falling object does not affect its velocity. The object will continue to accelerate at a constant rate of 9.8 m/s² until it reaches its terminal velocity, which is when the air resistance is equal to the force of gravity.

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a free falling object?

The equation for calculating the velocity (v) of a free falling object is v = gt, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and t is the time elapsed since the object began to fall.

How does the mass of a free falling object affect its acceleration?

The mass of a free falling object does not affect its acceleration. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate at the same rate (9.8 m/s²) when falling in a vacuum. However, in the presence of air resistance, objects with larger masses will have a slower terminal velocity due to the increased force of gravity acting on them.