How Do You Incorporate Drag Force in Free Body Diagrams for Multiple Objects?

MeesaWorldWide
Homework Statement
Three toy ducks on wheels are attached to the same rope and a boy begins pulling one end of the rope with a force of 10 N. The first duck (duck 1) has a mass of 1.0 kg, the middle duck (duck 2) has a mass of 5.0 kg, and the third duck in line (duck 3) has a mass of 2.0 kg. I already calculated the acceleration of the three ducks in part a of this question (1.25 m/s^2). The next thing is to find the tension force in the rope connecting ducks 1 and 2. I don't understand how to go about doing this: any help is appreciated!
Relevant Equations
F = ma
I don't even know how to begin this. I know that I need to somehow account for the drag force that duck 3 is causing on the first 2, but I don't know how to deal with that. I am asking for someone to help me get started, not to give me the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
There can be shortcuts, but the standard procedure is to draw a free body diagram for each duck and assign unknowns to the forces between them in a consistent manner.
Then write the F=ma equation for each duck.

Likes MatinSAR and PeroK

Related to How Do You Incorporate Drag Force in Free Body Diagrams for Multiple Objects?

1. How do you account for drag force in free body diagrams for multiple objects?

When incorporating drag force in free body diagrams for multiple objects, you need to include a drag force arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the object's motion. The magnitude of the drag force can be calculated using the equation Fd = 0.5 * Cd * A * ρ * v^2, where Cd is the drag coefficient, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, ρ is the density of the fluid, and v is the velocity of the object.

2. Do all objects experience drag force in the same way?

No, not all objects experience drag force in the same way. The magnitude of drag force depends on various factors such as the shape, size, and speed of the object, as well as the properties of the fluid through which the object is moving. Objects with different shapes and sizes will have different drag coefficients and cross-sectional areas, resulting in varying drag forces.

3. How does drag force affect the motion of multiple objects in a system?

Drag force can significantly impact the motion of multiple objects in a system by slowing them down as they move through a fluid. When incorporating drag force in free body diagrams, you must consider the direction and magnitude of the drag force acting on each object. This can affect the acceleration and overall motion of the objects within the system.

4. Can drag force be ignored in certain scenarios when analyzing multiple objects?

In some scenarios, drag force can be ignored when analyzing multiple objects, especially if the objects are moving at very low speeds or through a medium where drag force is negligible. However, for high-speed motion or in fluids with significant resistance, it is crucial to include drag force in the analysis to accurately predict the behavior of the objects.

5. How do you differentiate between drag force and other forces in free body diagrams for multiple objects?

To differentiate between drag force and other forces in free body diagrams for multiple objects, you must consider the direction and magnitude of each force acting on the objects. Drag force always opposes the motion of the object and is proportional to the velocity squared, while other forces such as gravity, normal force, and friction may act in different directions and have different dependencies on the object's properties.