Free body diagram with circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of friction vectors in a circular rotating room with two blocks stacked against the wall. The correct placement is determined to be straight up, opposing the direction of relative motion between the two objects. The direction of acceleration is also determined to be inward towards the center of the circle, with a centripetal force provided by the normal force between the blocks or book and wall. Without a normal force, there can be no friction.
crybllrd

Homework Statement

In a circular rotating room (think Gravitron), there are two blocks stacked against the wall and do not drop. Block A is touching block B, and block B is touching the wall.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do this problem, but I am not sure about where to draw the friction vectors. My intuition tells me straight up, but it seems like my instructor did something different.

Physics news on Phys.org
crybllrd said:

Homework Statement

In a circular rotating room (think Gravitron), there are two blocks stacked against the wall and do not drop. Block A is touching block B, and block B is touching the wall.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do this problem, but I am not sure about where to draw the friction vectors. My intuition tells me straight up, but it seems like my instructor did something different.
the friction force opposes the direction of relative motion or pending relative motion between the 2 objects.

What about acceleration?

ƒ(x) said:
What about acceleration?
What's the direction of the acceleration? What force or forces provides the acceleration??

ƒ(x) said:
What about acceleration?
Constant speed.
OK I guess I was right, I must have gotten it confused with another lecture.
Thanks a lot!

crybllrd said:
Constant speed.
OK I guess I was right, I must have gotten it confused with another lecture.
Thanks a lot!
Well, you got the direction of the friction force correctly, but not the question about the acceleration. The acceleration of objects moving in a circle is inward toward the center of the circle (centripetal aceleration). Since there is a centripetal acceleration, there must be a centripetal force acting inward for it to accelerate inward (Newton2). That centripetal force is provided by the normal force between the books or book and wall. If there is no normal force, there can be no friction (Friction force less than or equal to u_s(N))!

Related to Free body diagram with circular motion

1. What is a free body diagram with circular motion?

A free body diagram with circular motion is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object that is moving in a circular path. It includes all the forces, such as centripetal force, tangential force, and friction, that are affecting the motion of the object.

2. Why is it important to use a free body diagram with circular motion?

Using a free body diagram with circular motion helps us understand the forces involved in circular motion and how they affect the object's movement. It also allows us to accurately calculate and predict the object's acceleration and velocity.

3. How do you draw a free body diagram with circular motion?

To draw a free body diagram with circular motion, you first need to identify the object in motion and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force. Make sure to label each force and use a scale to accurately represent their relative sizes.

4. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. On the other hand, centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path, directed away from the center of the circle. It is an apparent force caused by the object's inertia.

5. Can a free body diagram with circular motion be used for any type of circular motion?

Yes, a free body diagram with circular motion can be used for any type of circular motion, including uniform circular motion, non-uniform circular motion, and circular motion with friction. However, the forces involved may differ depending on the specific type of circular motion.