Frame of reference of any observer

In summary, the conversation is about defining a local coordinate system for an observer in 4D Minkowski spacetime that includes a sense of time and spatial position. The possibility of generalizing a construction in 2D spacetime is discussed, and potential solutions for rotating observers are mentioned. The paper by Demystifier on Fermi normal coordinates is recommended as a resource.
paweld
Let's consider flat 4D Minkowski spacetime. Is it possible to define (local) coordinate
system for any observer (its natural reference frame) so that these coordinates
posses interpretation of time and spatial position measured by this observer?

It can be done in two dimensional Minkowski spacetime. One coordinate is time
measured by the observer - the length of its world line, the second is the spacetime
distance from the world line measured along the line of constant time (for the comoving
inertial the observer). I proved that there always exist an open set containing
observer world line in which these coordinates have sense. An good example of
such coordinates are Rindler coordinates for uniformly accelerated observer.

I wonder if it's possible to generalize my construction to four dimensional spacetime.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0104077

Maybe also see Fermi normal coordinates
http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2004-6/

I think there may be a problem with observers on a rotating disk, but I don't remember the resolution of that. Fredrik and Demystifier had good answers sometime ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for answer.
Could you give me a link to post by Fredrik and Demystifier.

Atyy probably means posts 138-144 here. I'm not sure how useful those posts will be for you. This post that deals with the synchronization procedure might be better.

In GR, I think my description is a bit ambiguous and that Fermi normal coordinates is what should replace it.

paweld said:
Thanks for answer.
Could you give me a link to post by Fredrik and Demystifier.

Demystifier is the author of this very useful paper.

Related to Frame of reference of any observer

1. What is a frame of reference in science?

A frame of reference in science is a set of criteria or rules used to define and measure the position, motion, and orientation of objects in space and time. It is essential in making observations and conducting experiments in physics and other branches of science.

2. Why is a frame of reference important in scientific research?

A frame of reference is important in scientific research because it provides a standardized way of describing and analyzing the physical world. It allows scientists to compare and interpret data from different observations or experiments, leading to a better understanding of the laws and principles that govern the universe.

3. How does the frame of reference of an observer affect their perception of an event?

The frame of reference of an observer can significantly impact their perception of an event. This is because an observer's frame of reference is based on their own position, velocity, and orientation relative to the objects and events being observed. Therefore, two observers with different frames of reference can have different interpretations of the same event.

4. Can a frame of reference be changed or adjusted?

Yes, a frame of reference can be changed or adjusted. In fact, it is often necessary to change the frame of reference in certain situations, such as when studying objects in motion or in different reference frames. Scientists can use mathematical equations and transformations to convert measurements and observations from one frame of reference to another.

5. How does the theory of relativity relate to the concept of a frame of reference?

The theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, explains the relationship between frames of reference and the laws of physics. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their frame of reference. This means that there is no preferred or absolute frame of reference, and all frames are equally valid for describing physical phenomena.