Fractions of amounts questions

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the problem states that 2/5 of the children in Year 8 play the piano, 1/4 play the violin, and no child plays more than one instrument. The question is what fraction of the children do not play the piano or the violin. The solution is 7/20. Additionally, it is mentioned that there are fewer than 50 children in Year 8, and 1/2 of the children who do not play the piano or the violin play the drums. The question is how many children are there in Year 8, and the answer is approximately 40. However, any multiple of 40 could also give an integer number of children, as long as it is less than 50
Natasha1
Ok here's the problem.

2/5 of the children in Year 8 play the piano.
1/4 of the children in Year 8 play the violin
No child plays more than one instrument.

1) Of the children in Year 8. What fraction do not play the piano or the violin?

Easy i did 1-(2/5+1/4) = 7/20There are fewer than 50 children in Year 8.
1/2 of the children who do not play the piano or the violin play the drums.

2) How many children are there in Year 8?

Stuck...

Thanks for your help in advance,

Nat

Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:
Ok here's the problem.

2/5 of the children in Year 8 play the piano.
1/4 of the children in Year 8 play the violin
No child plays more than one instrument.

1) Of the children in Year 8. What fraction do not play the piano or the violin?

Easy i did 1-(2/5+1/4) = 7/20

There are fewer than 50 children in Year 8.

2) How many children are there in Year 8?

Stuck...

Thanks for your help in advance,

Nat

I'm guessing here, but maybe the numbers do not turn out to be a whole number of children except if you get the total number of kids right. Does that help? You can't have a fraction of a kid...

Natasha1 said:
Ok here's the problem.

Easy i did 1-(2/5+1/4) = 7/20There are fewer than 50 children in Year 8.

So what fraction of the children play the drums?

If there are N children, home many children play the drums?
As Berkeman pointed out, only whole number of children can play the drums.

ehild

The fraction of children playing the drum is 3.5/20 or 7/40...

Which would make the total number of children in Year 8 to be 40. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Natasha1 said:
The fraction of children playing the drum is 3.5/20 or 7/40...

Which would make the total number of children in Year 8 to be 40. Is this correct?

Yes. It could be any multiple of 40 to give integer number of children, but the problem said that there are less than 50 children in year 8.

ehild

Related to Fractions of amounts questions

1. What are fractions of amounts questions?

Fractions of amounts questions are mathematical problems that involve finding a fraction of a given quantity or amount. These types of questions typically require the use of basic arithmetic operations and an understanding of fractions.

2. How do I solve fractions of amounts questions?

To solve a fractions of amounts question, you first need to identify the given quantity or amount and the fraction that needs to be found. Then, you can multiply the given quantity by the numerator of the fraction and divide the result by the denominator to find the answer.

3. What are some real-life applications of fractions of amounts?

Fractions of amounts are used in various real-life scenarios, such as cooking and baking, measuring ingredients, calculating discounts and sales, and dividing resources among a group of people.

4. What are some tips for solving fractions of amounts questions?

One helpful tip for solving fractions of amounts questions is to convert the fraction to a decimal or percentage, if needed, to make the calculation easier. Another tip is to simplify the fraction before solving to avoid dealing with large numbers.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving fractions of amounts questions?

There are many resources available for practicing fractions of amounts questions, such as worksheets, online quizzes and games, and textbooks. Additionally, you can create your own practice problems by using real-life scenarios or randomly generating numbers to work with.