Fraction of protons scattering

In summary, a proton beam with energy E=7mpc2 is directed at a cylindrical volume of liquid hydrogen (V=20 cm3) with density ρ=0.071 g cm-3. The beam has a spot area of A=4 cm2 and a total cross section of σ=30 mb. The fraction of protons that will interact with the target is found to be f=6.4E-6, and the mean free path is calculated to be λ=7.84 km using the equation λ=1/nσ. However, the order of magnitude for both values may seem unusual.
Annaino

Homework Statement

A proton beam of energy E=7mpc2 is incident on a cylindrical volume (V=20 cm3) of liquid hydrogen (density ρ=0.071 g cm-3) at rest. The spot area of the beam is A=4 cm2 and the total cross section is σ=30 mb. What fraction of the protons entering the target will interact? What is the mean free path (collision length)?

Homework Equations

λ=1/nσ

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the number of protons in the given volume, N = ρV/mp. I then computed the fraction as f=Nσ /A=ρVσ/mA=6.4E-6. I don't like the order of magnitude I am getting from this approach. I found the mean free path from the equation above. Again, with a weird order of magnitude. λ=m/ρσ=7.84 km.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Fraction of protons scattering

1. What is the definition of fraction of protons scattering?

The fraction of protons scattering is a measure of the number of protons in a material that undergo scattering when particles or waves are incident on it. It represents the ratio of scattered protons to the total number of protons in the material.

2. How is the fraction of protons scattering calculated?

The fraction of protons scattering is calculated by dividing the number of scattered protons by the total number of protons in the material. It can also be expressed as a percentage by multiplying the result by 100.

3. What factors affect the fraction of protons scattering?

The fraction of protons scattering is affected by several factors including the energy and angle of the incident particles or waves, the density and composition of the material, and the atomic number of the material.

4. What is the significance of the fraction of protons scattering in materials science?

The fraction of protons scattering is an important parameter in materials science as it can provide information about the structure and composition of a material. By measuring the fraction of protons scattering, scientists can determine the density, atomic arrangement, and defects present in a material.

5. How is the fraction of protons scattering used in practical applications?

The fraction of protons scattering is used in various practical applications such as medical imaging, material characterization, and non-destructive testing. It is also used in research to study the properties of different materials and to develop new materials with specific scattering properties.