Fractal Nature of Gravitational Forces

In summary, the author is suggesting that gravity may follow a law of power, where the more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational field. He suggests that this is possible on both galactic and stellar scales. However, he is not sure if this is actually mathematically possible.
Lostpinky
Hi All,

I'm no expert, nor have had any training, i just read a lot so I would be interested in some debate about an idea I have after reading lots of different things.

To try help explain the idea I've drawn a crude picture which is attached.

Can anyone explain to me the possibility of having a fractal nature to Gravity. I know gravity is a force and not matter therefore it cannot be directly fractal by itself but it may follow a law of power.

In the picture let's assume we take the force of gravity (G) as 1 on the surface of the Earth, or the moon, or the sun whatever macro body you like.

The we travel a certain distance away until G is 1/10th of surface gravity at which point G would be 1^-1.

Given the mass of the object affecting the actual value of G
EG: Earth G=9.98m/s^2, the moon G=1.625m/s^2
The distance from an object at which you reach 1^-1G would be proportional.

EG: For Earth at about 1.5 million km distance the sun's gravity overwhelms Earth's gravity

So let's say 10% Earth G is about 1350000km from Earth. I don't know if there is a name for this distance but let's call it the "0.1G line".

Now if the 0.1G line is proportional for all masses in the solar system let's move it down to the atomic level.

Imagine being on the surface of an electron or proton. you would feel 1G based on the mass of the particle. You're 0.1G line distance from the particle would be proportional to that of the Earth, depending on mass.

Blow it up further to the size of the galaxy. The 0.1G line would be a proportional distance from the Galactic mass.

Of course:
- Mass affects gravity.
- The more massive/dense the object the higher the gravitational field.

BUT

If you picture this sort of relationship you see that gravity on the largest scale is a power factor stronger than gravity at our scale, and that is powers stronger than gravity on the atomic level.

Is this type of law of powers application to gravity on several scales mathematically possible or am I misunderstanding things?

If it is possible then it follows a possible fractal pattern where gravity is the same at every level just orders of magnitude in difference.

If gravity drops away at a exponential rate then does it do so on both galactic and stellar scales?

Attachments

• fractalgrav.JPG
    fractalgrav.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
1 to the power of anything is 1 so what your saying seems kind of confusing. Do you mean 1*10^x?

1x10^-1 which is 0.1 sorry :-)

Related to Fractal Nature of Gravitational Forces

1. What is the concept of fractal nature of gravitational forces?

The fractal nature of gravitational forces is a theory that explains how the force of gravity operates on different scales, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest celestial bodies. It suggests that gravity is not a constant force, but rather it varies and becomes more complex as the scale of the objects involved changes.

2. How does the fractal nature of gravitational forces affect the structure of the universe?

The fractal nature of gravitational forces plays a significant role in shaping the structure of the universe. It causes matter to clump together at various scales, creating structures such as galaxies, clusters of galaxies, and superclusters. This process is known as hierarchical clustering and is a result of the varying strengths of gravitational forces at different scales.

3. Is there evidence to support the theory of fractal nature of gravitational forces?

Yes, there is evidence to support this theory. Studies of galaxy clusters have shown that the distribution of matter follows a fractal pattern, supporting the idea that gravity operates in a fractal manner. Additionally, computer simulations of the universe based on this theory have produced results that match observations.

4. How does the fractal nature of gravitational forces relate to other fundamental forces?

The fractal nature of gravitational forces is unique to gravity and does not directly relate to other fundamental forces, such as electromagnetism or the strong and weak nuclear forces. However, all of these forces are thought to have varying strengths at different scales, and the concept of fractals helps us understand how these forces interact and shape the universe.

5. Can the fractal nature of gravitational forces be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, the concept of fractals has been applied to various fields of science, including biology, economics, and geology. In each of these areas, the idea of self-similarity and complexity at different scales has been found to be applicable. However, further research is needed to fully understand the implications of the fractal nature of gravitational forces in these fields.