Fourier transform to solve the wave equation

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fourier transform to solve the wave equation. The process involves using the transform to find a general solution, and then using the initial conditions to determine the specific solution. The conversation also mentions that the inverse transform can be used to find the inverse of the solution.
Markov2
I need to use the Fourier transform to solve the wave equation:

$\begin{aligned} & {{u}_{tt}}={{c}^{2}}{{u}_{xx}},\text{ }x\in \mathbb{R},\text{ }t>0, \\
& u(x,0)=f(x), \\
& {{u}_{t}}(x,0)=g(x).
\end{aligned}
$

So I have $\dfrac{{{\partial }^{2}}F(u)}{\partial {{t}^{2}}}=-{{c}^{2}}{{w}^{2}}F(u)$ which gives $F(u(x,w))(t)=c_1\cos(wct)+c_2\sin(wct)$ and $F(u(x,0))=F(f )$ (1) and $\dfrac{\partial F(u(x,0))}{\partial t}=g(x)$ (2). So by using (1) I get $F(u(x,0))=c_1=F( f)$ and $F_t(u(x,0))=c_2cw=g(x)$ so $F(u(x,w))=F( f)\cos(wct)+\dfrac{g(x)}{cw}\sin(wct).$

Well I want to know if I'm correct so far. After this, I'm having problems with the inverse! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Markov said:
I need to use the Fourier transform to solve the wave equation:

$\begin{aligned} & {{u}_{tt}}={{c}^{2}}{{u}_{xx}},\text{ }x\in \mathbb{R},\text{ }t>0, \\
& u(x,0)=f(x), \\
& {{u}_{t}}(x,0)=g(x).
\end{aligned}
$

So I have $\dfrac{{{\partial }^{2}}F(u)}{\partial {{t}^{2}}}=-{{c}^{2}}{{w}^{2}}F(u)$ which gives $F(u(x,w))(t)=c_1\cos(wct)+c_2\sin(wct)$ and $F(u(x,0))=F(f )$ (1) and $\dfrac{\partial F(u(x,0))}{\partial t}=g(x)$ (2). So by using (1) I get $F(u(x,0))=c_1=F( f)$ and $F_t(u(x,0))=c_2cw=g(x)$ so $F(u(x,w))=F( f)\cos(wct)+\dfrac{g(x)}{cw}\sin(wct).$

Well I want to know if I'm correct so far. After this, I'm having problems with the inverse! :(

Hi Markov, :)

I think you can find the method of solving the wave equation using the Fourier transform if you Google something like, "wave equation and Fourier series". You may find the answer to your question http://www.iam.ubc.ca/%7Esospedra/05-separation.pdf(Scroll down, and at the end the Fourier series method is given).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Fourier transform to solve the wave equation

1. What is the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its individual frequency components. It is often used in signal processing and physics to analyze time-varying signals or functions.

2. How does the Fourier transform help solve the wave equation?

The wave equation involves a function that describes the behavior of a wave over time. By taking the Fourier transform of this function, we can break it down into its individual frequency components, which allows us to better understand the behavior of the wave.

3. What is the relationship between the Fourier transform and the wave equation?

The Fourier transform is a tool that can be used to solve the wave equation. By applying the Fourier transform to the wave equation, we can obtain a simpler equation that is easier to solve and provides insight into the behavior of the wave.

4. What are the applications of using Fourier transform to solve the wave equation?

The Fourier transform is used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be applied to solve various types of wave equations, such as those describing sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and quantum mechanical waves.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier transform to solve the wave equation?

The Fourier transform assumes that the wave function is continuous and has a finite energy. This can limit its applicability to certain types of wave equations, such as those involving discontinuous or unbounded functions. Additionally, the Fourier transform may not provide an exact solution in some cases, and approximations may be needed.