Fourier series How to integrate SinxCosnx?

In summary, the conversation discusses computing the Fourier cosine series for a given function and using the product-to-sum identity to simplify the integration of sin(x)cos(nx). The individual is also asked to compute the Fourier series for a two-part function and is reminded to use the exponential form instead of the cosine form.
hydralisks

Homework Statement

Compute the Fourier cosine series for given function:

f(x)=sinx 0<x<pi

Homework Equations

for cosine series of f(x) on [0,T]... use this general equation:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierCosineSeries.html

The Attempt at a Solution

so I get:

a0 = (2/pi) * integral(sinxdx) with bounds 0 to pi = 4/pi

but then.. when I try to compute an

I get
an=(2/pi) * integral(sinx*cosnx*dx) with bounds 0 to pi
How do I integrate sinxcosnx?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you go from f(x)=e^x to f(x)=sin(x)? Either way use the product-to-sum identity to write sin(x)cos(nx) as a sum of sine functions or express the sine and cosine functions in terms of complex exponentials.

Cyosis said:
How did you go from f(x)=e^x to f(x)=sin(x)? Either way use the product-to-sum identity to write sin(x)cos(nx) as a sum of sine functions or express the sine and cosine functions in terms of complex exponentials.

Ah, sorry I'm becoming delusional from doing too much work in one day. It's fixed now.

I do get sin(x)cos(nx) right? Or am I doing something wrong

Yes you do get sin(x)cos(nx) with the edited f(x). Now use [tex]\sin \theta \cos \varphi = {\sin(\theta + \varphi) + \sin(\theta - \varphi) \over 2}[/tex]

Ah, thanks so much. Sorry I actually have another question though,

I am asked to compute the Fourier series for the following 2 part function:

f(x)=1 -2<x<0
f(x)=x 0<x<2

I'm supposed to do this using the "Euler formulas" not the cos/sin formulas.

However, I'm not sure how this two part thing works. When trying to find an, do I just do the integral of part 1 + integral of part 2?

so...
an = [(1/2)*integral(1*cos(n*pi*x/2)) from -2 to 0] + [(1/2)*integral(x*cos(n*pi*x/2)) from 0 to 2]

You're splitting the integral up correctly, but you said you're supposed to use the exponential form of the Fourier-transform after which you use the cosine form instead (confusing). Do it again using the exponential form.

Related to Fourier series How to integrate SinxCosnx?

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions of different frequencies. It can be used to study and analyze the behavior of various phenomena, such as heat transfer, sound waves, and electrical signals.

What is the purpose of using a Fourier series?

The main purpose of using a Fourier series is to simplify the representation of a periodic function, making it easier to analyze and manipulate mathematically. It also allows for the identification of different frequency components present in a signal, which is useful in various fields of science and engineering.

How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms that best approximate the given periodic function. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as integration, complex analysis, and trigonometric identities.

What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is used to represent a periodic function, while a Fourier transform is used to represent a non-periodic function. Additionally, a Fourier series is a discrete representation, while a Fourier transform is a continuous representation. However, both methods involve decomposing a function into sine and cosine components.

How do I integrate SinxCosnx?

To integrate SinxCosnx, you can use the trigonometric identity cos(x)sin(x) = 1/2sin(2x). This will allow you to simplify the integral and solve it using basic integration techniques. Alternatively, you can also use the Fourier series formula for the product of sine and cosine terms, which involves finding the coefficients of the resulting sine and cosine terms.