Fourier Series and deriving formulas for sums of numerical

In summary, the conversation is about solving two parts (3 and 4) of a homework question related to Fourier series. The person is questioning if their solution is correct and if they have used the correct approach, to which they are reassured that it is correct. They also express their satisfaction with being able to solve the problem quickly.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1.jpg
2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am tasked with answer #3 and #4. I have supplied the indicated parenthesis of 8 also with the image.

Here is my thinking:
Take the Fourier series for |sin(θ)|.
Let θ = 0 and we see a perfect relationship.
sin(0) = 0 and cos(0) = 1.
So with just a little algebra and setting sin(θ) = the Fourier series of sin(θ) We can easily show #3 part 1.
Similiarly, with setting θ = pi/2 we can solve for #3 part b.

Is this the correct way of going about this?
I ask this question, even tho I have perfect results, as this seems too simple and I feel like I haven't used anything here. Is this really what the question is asking?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
Is this the correct way of going about this?
Yes, that's correct.

Likes RJLiberator
Oh, HELL yes.
It feels so good to be able to solve one of my homework problems in less than 4 minutes for a change :D.
MAN I feel great.

Thank you.

Related to Fourier Series and deriving formulas for sums of numerical

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of simple sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is used to analyze and approximate functions in various fields such as signal processing, physics, and engineering.

2. How is a Fourier Series derived?

A Fourier Series is derived using the Fourier Series formula, which is based on the principle that any periodic function can be represented as a sum of sines and cosines. The coefficients of the sines and cosines are determined through integration and solving for the Fourier coefficients.

3. What is the importance of Fourier Series in numerical computations?

Fourier Series are important in numerical computations because they allow for efficient and accurate approximations of complex functions. They are also used in solving differential equations, filtering signals, and analyzing data.

4. How do you calculate the coefficients of a Fourier Series?

The coefficients of a Fourier Series can be calculated using the Fourier Series formula, which involves integrating the function over one period and solving for the coefficients. There are also various numerical methods and software programs that can be used to calculate the coefficients.

5. Can a Fourier Series accurately represent any function?

No, a Fourier Series can only accurately represent functions that are periodic. Non-periodic functions can be approximated using Fourier Series, but there will always be some error in the approximation.