Fourier Integrals and Division

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Fourier transforms of two functions, f(x) = cos(x) and g(x) = sin(x), on the interval from -pi/2 to pi/2. The solution for parts (a) and (b) were found and verified, but there is confusion about part (c) and why the division of f(ω) and g(ω) results in -1/(iω). The hint is given to consider a linear operator that can be applied to g(x) to get f(x), and it is suggested to think about what linear operator can be used to go from f(x) to g(x).
Yosty22

Homework Statement

(a) Find the Fourier transform f(ω) of: f(x) = cos(x) between -pi/2 and pi/2
(b) Find the Fourier transform g(ω) of: g(x) = sin(x) between = -pi/2 and pi/2
(c) Without doing any integration, determine f(ω)/g(ω) and explain why it is so

Homework Equations

f(ω) = ∫f(x)e-iωx dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to do parts (a) and (b) and verified my answers, however part (c) is giving me some problems. The division is straightforward for the two transformed equations. When I do the division, I get f(ω)/g(ω) = -1/(iω). I have verified this with fellow students as well, and we have all gotten the same thing. I am just confused as to the why . I feel like it might be some identity of Fourier integrals, but I cannot find it. I have looked through my textbook and I have been looking online, but I cannot really understand exactly why I get the answer I do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What linear operator can you apply to g(x) to get f(x)?

Even easier: What linear operator can you use to come from [itex]f(x)[/itex] to [itex]g(x)[/itex]:biggrin:.

Related to Fourier Integrals and Division

1. What is a Fourier integral?

A Fourier integral is a mathematical tool used to represent a function as a combination of sinusoidal waves. It is a way to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

2. How is a Fourier integral different from a Fourier series?

A Fourier integral is used for continuous functions, while a Fourier series is used for periodic functions. In a Fourier integral, the function is integrated over the entire real line, while in a Fourier series, the function is integrated over one period.

3. What is the significance of using division in Fourier integrals?

The division in Fourier integrals is used to normalize the amplitude of the sinusoidal waves. This ensures that the integral of the squared amplitude of the waves is equal to the total energy of the original function.

4. How are Fourier integrals used in signal processing?

Fourier integrals are used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals by breaking them down into simpler components. This allows for filtering, noise removal, and other signal processing techniques to be applied.

5. What is the relationship between Fourier integrals and the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is the mathematical operation used to calculate a Fourier integral. The Fourier transform converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze using Fourier integrals.