Fourier Components of a Rope's Motion: Calculating the Complete Expression

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a rope under tension between two free-moving rings. The expression for the rope's motion in terms of its Fourier components is given, and the speaker shares their attempt at solving for An. However, they ultimately find that An=0, leading to the conclusion that a periodic function will always result in 0 when transformed between its period points.
Unicorn.
Hello,

Homework Statement

A rope of mass M and length L is tend with tension T between two rings free to oscillate along a rod parallel to the y axis. Initially the rings are maintained at y=0 while we give to the rope a y(x,0)=dsin²(pix/L).
Give the complete expression of motion of the rope in term of its Fourier components.

string.png

Homework Equations

y(x)=Ʃ Ancos(npix/L)
An=2/L∫y(x)cos(npix/L) dx from 0 to L

The Attempt at a Solution

The spatial period si P=L and it has to be symetric around points x=0 and x=L, so all the Bn=0.
So I tried to calculate An.
An=2/L∫dsin²(pix/L)*cos(npix/L) dx from 0 to L
I used the identities:
sina*cosb=1/2[sin(a+b)+sin(a-b)] to make the integral easier then I had
An=d/L∫sin(pix/L)sin(a+b)+sin(pix/L)sin(a-b) dx
The problem is that when I calculated everything I found that An=0 ...?
I'm supposed to find that
y(x)=[d/2-d/2*cos(2*pi*x/L)]*cos(wnt)
I arrived to
An=(-d/2)[sin(2π+nπ)/(2π+nπ)+sin(2π-nπ)/(2π-nπ)]
Then I used sin(a + b) = sin a. cos b + sin b. cosa and as n= 1,2,3... we found An=0
I also did it using sin²(x)=1/2cos(2x).. same result

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if you try to transform a periodic function between its period points you will always have 0 dude

Related to Fourier Components of a Rope's Motion: Calculating the Complete Expression

1. What is the Fourier series?

The Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate the behavior of a function over time or space.

2. How does Fourier analysis relate to the motion of a rope?

The motion of a rope can be analyzed using Fourier series because it is a periodic function with a repeating pattern. By breaking down the motion into its individual sine and cosine components, we can better understand and predict the behavior of the rope.

3. What is the connection between Fourier series and waves?

Fourier series are closely related to waves because they can be used to analyze and represent any periodic wave. By breaking down a wave into its component frequencies, we can better understand its behavior and characteristics.

4. Can Fourier analysis be used to study non-periodic motion?

No, Fourier series can only be used to analyze functions that are periodic. However, techniques such as the Fourier transform can be used to analyze non-periodic signals and functions.

5. What is the significance of Fourier series in science and engineering?

Fourier series are an important tool in science and engineering because they allow us to understand and analyze complex periodic phenomena, such as the motion of a rope or the behavior of waves. They are also used in applications such as signal processing, image analysis, and data compression.