Fourier Analysis: Finding Coefficients for f(t)=1

In summary, the author is trying to find the Fourier coefficients for a function f(t)=1 projected onto trigonometric polynomials of infinite order. The author finds that the answer key given in their book is incorrect and that the integral of a monotonic function over an interval that is symmetric about the origin should be zero. However, the answer key gives the first term in the series, not the entire series, which is not correct.
Whitebread

Homework Statement

I need to find the Fourier coefficients for a function f(t)=1 projected onto trigonometric polynomials of infinite order

Homework Equations

Equation finding the first coefficient, the constant term:
untitled-1-1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

So I feel quite stupid because this should be a very simple integral. The integral of a monotonic function over an interval that is symmetric about the origin SHOULD be equal to zero.

It seems my book has just integrated from 0 to pi for first Fourier coefficient. I'm here pulling my hair out trying to figure out why/how this is correct because the two integrals certainly are not equivalent. Can someone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't that equation be:

[tex]a_0=\frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)dt[/tex]

which gives [itex]a_0=0[/itex]? ...Or were you trying to say that the answer key gives [itex]a_0=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]?...Are you sure that you are looking for the first term [itex]a_0[/itex] and not the first non-zero term?

See, that's what I think it should be (and yes I'm looking for the first term a(sub 0)). But the answer key gives the answer I posted above. I'm beginning to think its wrong. Although, going by what we think the answer is, the transform of the function f(t)=1 would just be 0, which doesn't make sense.

I can post the entire answer key answer if you would like to see it

Are you looking for the Fourier Transform of f(t), or the Fourier Series representation? Assuming you are looking for the latter; just because the first term in the series is zero, doesn't mean the entire series is zero.

I'm looking for the transform, not the series.

Well the Fourier transform is [tex]\hat{f}(\omega)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-i\omega t} dt[/tex] which is not an infinite series with coefficients: this is why I assumed you were looking for the Fourier series ...your original question makes no sense to me if you are looking for the transform and not the series!

I'm pretty sure your looking for the series, not the transform...are you sure f(t)=1? If I were a betting man, I'd bet dollars to dimes that the question actually has f(t)=1(t), where 1(t) is the unit (Heaviside) step function, namely:

[tex]1(t)= \left\{ \begin{array}{rl} 0, & t<0 \\ 1, & t \geq 0[/tex]

In which case, the equation

[tex]a_0=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2} \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)dt[/tex]

should give you the correct series coefficient.

Related to Fourier Analysis: Finding Coefficients for f(t)=1

What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique that breaks down a function into its individual frequency components. It allows us to express any periodic function as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

What is the purpose of finding coefficients for f(t)=1 in Fourier analysis?

In Fourier analysis, finding coefficients for a function involves determining the amplitudes of the individual frequency components that make up the function. For f(t)=1, this means finding the amplitudes of the sine and cosine functions that would add up to a constant value of 1. These coefficients help us understand the behavior of the function and can be used for further calculations.

How are the coefficients for f(t)=1 calculated in Fourier analysis?

The coefficients for f(t)=1 can be calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the function with respect to time and multiplying it by a constant value. This formula is based on the concept of orthogonality, where the sine and cosine functions are perpendicular to each other and their product over a period is equal to 0.

What are some real-world applications of Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to analyze and manipulate signals, images, and sound waves. It is also used in solving differential equations, studying the behavior of complex systems, and in data compression and encryption.

What are the limitations of Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis assumes that the function being analyzed is periodic and has a finite number of frequency components. This can limit its applicability to non-periodic functions or functions with infinite frequency components. It also does not take into account the time or frequency domain information, making it less useful for analyzing transient signals or signals with changing frequencies over time.