Four-way beamsplitter implementation

• A
  • Thread starter jeremy_rutman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different options for implementing a 4-way beamsplitter, including using three 'regular' (two-way) beam splitters. The speaker also mentions searching for relevant results on Google, but notes that the first few hits are not applicable to their needs. They also mention a theory paper that discusses the use of inhomogeneous SLM's, but notes that it may not be practical to produce or buy. The speaker expresses their need for a more specific criteria for finding a suitable 4-way beamsplitter.
jeremy_rutman
Hi, is there any clever way to implement a 4-way beamsplitter ? My current go-to is using three 'regular' (two-way) beam splitters .

Likes vanhees71
Science news on Phys.org
Hyperfine said:
Indeed there are. A Google search of "four way beam splitter" yielded:

Four-port integrated polarizing beam splitter
behind paywall and not relevant- this is a two-input two-output device
Hyperfine said:
This is a chromatic filter splitting into e.g. R,G,B which is not what I'm after, I need 4 full-color images.
Hyperfine said:
Designing the Phase and Amplitude of a Scalar Optical Fields in Three Dimensions

Those are just the first three hits that might be relevant to you.
This is a theory paper , which posits use of arbitrary inhomogneous SLM's for its simulations - not something i nor anyone else is likely to be able to produce or buy. Furthermore the splitter here seems to be more or less analogous to use of three splitters .
Thanks for the googling but I can actually, and have actually, done that myself....

Perhaps you should have specified your criteria beyond merely asking if there is
jeremy_rutman said:
any clever way to implement a 4-way beamsplitter?

Likes berkeman and Ibix
I did - having mentioned that
My current go-to is using three 'regular' (two-way) beam splitters .
it should be rather clear that use of that method is not, in fact, what I'm looking for.