Four divergence of stress energy tensor

In summary, the conversation is about trying to show the four divergence of the stress energy tensor of the sourceless Klein-Gordon equation is zero. The person has gotten to the point where they are left with the equations of motion being identically zero and three other terms. They have found a solution online but are stuck at equations (30) to (32) and are unsure about the factor of a half disappearing. They ask for help in understanding how the remaining terms equal zero. Eventually, they receive a reply on a different forum stating that the 1/2 should not have disappeared.
decerto

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to show the four divergence of the stress energy tensor of the sourceless klein gordon equation is zero. I got to the part in the solution where I am left with the equations of motion which is identically zero and 3 other terms.

I managed to find a solution online

See equation (30) to (32) in this pdf for where I am stuck

Firstly I have no idea where the factor of a half goes from (30) to (32) and secondly if it is legitimately gone for some reason, then the second and third term in (31) are equal and opposite which leaves you with just the 4th term, how does this equal to zero?

Homework Equations

In the hyperlink

The Attempt at a Solution

In the hyperlink

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you go from (30) to (31), i.e., can you show that the stuff after the first minus sign in (30) equals the stuff after the first minus sign in (31)?

Does the product rule seem familiar to you? If so, start by computing [itex] \partial_{\mu}\phi^2 [/itex]

Its fine, I got a reply on a different forum, the 1/2 should not have dissapeared, that is what was confusing me.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It seems like you have made good progress in solving the problem and are now stuck on a specific part. I am not able to open the hyperlink you provided, but I will provide a general response to your question.

To begin, the four divergence of the stress energy tensor is a mathematical concept that describes how the energy and momentum of a system are distributed in space and time. In other words, it tells us how the energy and momentum are changing at a given point in space and time. In the case of the sourceless Klein-Gordon equation, the stress energy tensor is defined as:

T^μν = ∂μφ∂νφ - η^μν(1/2)(∂αφ∂αφ)

Where φ is the Klein-Gordon field and η^μν is the Minkowski metric. The four divergence of this tensor is given by:

∂μT^μν = ∂μ(∂μφ∂νφ) - (1/2)∂μ(η^μν∂αφ∂αφ)

= (∂μ∂μφ)∂νφ + (∂μφ)(∂μ∂νφ) - (1/2)η^μν(∂μ∂αφ)(∂αφ)

= (∂μ∂μφ)∂νφ + (∂μφ)(∂μ∂νφ) - (1/2)(∂αφ)(∂α∂νφ)

= (∂μ∂μφ)∂νφ + (∂μφ)(∂μ∂νφ) - (1/2)(∂ν∂αφ)(∂αφ)

= (∂μ∂μφ)∂νφ + (∂μφ)(∂μ∂νφ) - (1/2)(∂α∂νφ)(∂αφ)

= (∂μ∂μφ)∂νφ + (∂μφ)(∂μ∂νφ) - (1/2)(∂ν∂αφ)(∂αφ)

= (∂μ∂μφ)∂νφ + (∂μφ)(∂μ∂νφ

Related to Four divergence of stress energy tensor

What is the definition of the four divergence of stress energy tensor?

The four divergence of stress energy tensor is a mathematical quantity that describes the rate of change of stress and energy at a point in space. It is represented by the symbol ∂μTμν, where μ and ν represent the space-time coordinates.

What is the physical significance of the four divergence of stress energy tensor?

The four divergence of stress energy tensor is a measure of how energy and momentum are distributed and exchanged within a system. It is an important quantity in the field of general relativity and is used to study the dynamics of matter and energy in the universe.

How is the four divergence of stress energy tensor related to the conservation laws?

The four divergence of stress energy tensor is related to the conservation laws of energy and momentum. This means that if the four divergence of stress energy tensor is zero, then energy and momentum are conserved in that system.

What is the role of the four divergence of stress energy tensor in Einstein's field equations?

The four divergence of stress energy tensor is an essential component in Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy. It is used to calculate the energy and momentum density in the universe, which helps to understand the behavior of gravitational fields.

How is the four divergence of stress energy tensor calculated in practical applications?

The four divergence of stress energy tensor is calculated using a mathematical formula involving the partial derivatives of stress and energy with respect to the space-time coordinates. In practical applications, this calculation can be done using computer simulations and numerical methods.