Foundations of Mechanical Engineering (textbook)

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a book recommendation for a foundation year in mechanical engineering. They are unsure if the foundation year even covers mechanical engineering and the responder suggests borrowing textbooks from the library to save money.
Parsifal1
I'm hoping to do a foundation year for mechanical engineering next year, can anyone recommend to get this book in preparation for it?:
https://www.waterstones.com/book/foundations-of-mechanical-engineering/anthony-johnson/keith-sherwin/9780412616006

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a foundation year?

mfig said:
What is a foundation year?
It's a separate thing to the actual degree in order to get onto it. It's what the name would suggest.

Are you sure the foundation year even contains any mechanical engineering?
Most ME degrees don't even have any ME until the 2nd year, so I doubt a pre-degree foundation course would have any.
If it's not on the required book list I wouldn't worry about it.

You can spend a fortune on buying the required books, many of them, including the book you're asking about, you'll grow out of. Some are great references that you'll want to keep forever. Until you've taken the course and used the book it's hard to know which are which.
I borrowed textbooks from the library on the first day of classes and I'd keep it for the entire semester (I only ever had a book recalled once) after the semester is over I decide whether I want to own a copy and then can buy a cheap used copy if I wish. I saved literally thousands of dollars.

Related to Foundations of Mechanical Engineering (textbook)

1. What is the purpose of the textbook "Foundations of Mechanical Engineering"?

The textbook "Foundations of Mechanical Engineering" serves as a comprehensive guide for students and professionals studying or working in the field of mechanical engineering. It covers fundamental principles, theories, and applications in various areas of mechanical engineering.

2. What topics are covered in the textbook?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, design and analysis, and manufacturing processes. It also includes case studies and real-world applications to provide a practical understanding of the concepts.

3. Is the textbook suitable for beginners in the field of mechanical engineering?

Yes, the textbook is designed for students and professionals at all levels. It starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more advanced topics, making it suitable for beginners as well as those looking to refresh their knowledge.

4. Are there any interactive elements in the textbook?

Yes, the textbook includes interactive elements such as diagrams, illustrations, and videos to help students visualize and understand the concepts better. It also includes practice problems and exercises to test the understanding of the material.

5. Is the textbook updated with the latest information and advancements in the field?

Yes, the textbook is regularly updated to incorporate the latest information and advancements in the field of mechanical engineering. It also includes discussions on emerging technologies and their applications in various industries.