Formulating the control volume for a mechanical system

In summary: E_{st}##.Is there any way to derive it from first principles from Eq (1)?In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with representing a mechanical system in a control volume and identifying energy balance terms. The derived expression (2) is successfully used to predict temperature, but the speaker is unsure of its derivation from first principles. The conversation concludes with discussions on the boundary of the control volume and the role of different terms in the energy balance equation.
bugatti79
Folks,

I am having difficulty correctly representing a mechanical system within a correct "control volume at an instant" in order to identify the various energy balance terms given below

##\displaystyle \dot E_{st}=\frac{d E_{st}}{dt}=\dot E_{in} - \dot E_{out}+ \dot E_g## (1)

that correlates to this derived expression

##\displaystyle m*c_p*\frac{dT}{dt}=q=P_{loss}-hA(T_s-T_{amb})## (2) where q is Watts. The last term is the general term for convection and radiation.

We have the measured power loss ##P_{loss},dt, T_s,T_{amb}## from test. Then we approximate ##m, h, A,h## in order to predict ##dT## which was done successfully.

However, despite all this, i would like to know how the above expression (2) was derived from first principles, ie from (1) in the first place.

Ie, is ##P_{loss}=\dot E_g## the energy generated?

I can write out my interpretation and post it as a picture if anyone is interested in correcting me where i have gone wrong...
thanks
bugatti

Physics news on Phys.org
Eq(1) states that the energy within the control volume equals the energy coming in minus the energy going out plus internal thermal energy generation.
Eg would be a chemical reaction( either exothermic or endothermic), electrical resistance, ...
Ein , Eout would be the work or heat that enters or leaves the control volume.

Does anything in Eq(2) match up knowing that?

bugatti79 said:
Folks,

I am having difficulty correctly representing a mechanical system within a correct "control volume at an instant" in order to identify the various energy balance terms given below

##\displaystyle \dot E_{st}=\frac{d E_{st}}{dt}=\dot E_{in} - \dot E_{out}+ \dot E_g## (1)

that correlates to this derived expression

##\displaystyle m*c_p*\frac{dT}{dt}=q=P_{loss}-hA(T_s-T_{amb})## (2) where q is Watts. The last term is the general term for convection and radiation.

We have the measured power loss ##P_{loss},dt, T_s,T_{amb}## from test. Then we approximate ##m, h, A,h## in order to predict ##dT## which was done successfully.

However, despite all this, i would like to know how the above expression (2) was derived from first principles, ie from (1) in the first place.

Ie, is ##P_{loss}=\dot E_g## the energy generated?
Yes, ##P_{loss}=\dot E_g## and ## \dot E_{out}=hA(T_s-T_{amb})##

Chet

256bits said:
Eq(1) states that the energy within the control volume equals the energy coming in minus the energy going out plus internal thermal energy generation.
Eg would be a chemical reaction( either exothermic or endothermic), electrical resistance, ...
Ein , Eout would be the work or heat that enters or leaves the control volume.

Does anything in Eq(2) match up knowing that?

Chestermiller said:
Yes, ##P_{loss}=\dot E_g## and ## \dot E_{out}=hA(T_s-T_{amb})##

Chet

For this axle we know that the main form of heat dissipation is free convection (there will be some conduction to the ground) and thus ##\dot E_{out}=hA(T_s-T_{amb})##

Its not clear to me whether ##P_{loss}=\dot E_g## or ##P_{loss}=\dot E_{in}## (The heat comes from the friction between the gears and the churning of the oil)

Also I don't know where ##\displaystyle mc_p\frac{dT}{dt}## fits in in eqn 1... To me, this term is the steady flow thermal energy equation which is normally used for "open systems with flowing fluid" but we do not have fluid flowing across our "closed system" boundary??...

bugatti79 said:
For this axle we know that the main form of heat dissipation is free convection (there will be some conduction to the ground) and thus ##\dot E_{out}=hA(T_s-T_{amb})##

Its not clear to me whether ##P_{loss}=\dot E_g## or ##P_{loss}=\dot E_{in}## (The heat comes from the friction between the gears and the churning of the oil)

Also I don't know where ##\displaystyle mc_p\frac{dT}{dt}## fits in in eqn 1... To me, this term is the steady flow thermal energy equation which is normally used for "open systems with flowing fluid" but we do not have fluid flowing across our "closed system" boundary??...

So we either have
##\dot E_{in}-\dot E_{out}=0## plus the mcp(dT/dt) term or

##\dot E_{g}-\dot E_{out}=0## plus the mcp(dT/dt) term...?

I believe it is actually

##\dot E_{in}-\dot E_{out}=\dot E_{st}## where power loss, convection and mcpdT/dt are the 1, 2 and 3rd terms respectively.

Thanks guys

bugatti79 said:

It depends on what you choose for the boundary of your control volume. Does the control volume include the gears and oil? If so, ##P_{loss}=\dot E_g##.
No. This term is the rate of accumulation of heat within the control volume, and corresponds to your dEst/dt. This is not heat carried by flow into or out of the control volume. That would be covered by Edot,in. Edot,in includes heat by fluid flow into the control volume, heat conducted into the control volume through its boundary, and work done on the boundary of the control volume by the surroundings.

For more details, presenting the material in a more precise manner, see Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
It depends on what you choose for the boundary of your control volume. Does the control volume include the gears and oil? If so, ##P_{loss}=\dot E_g##.

No. This term is the rate of accumulation of heat within the control volume, and corresponds to your dEst/dt. This is not heat carried by flow into or out of the control volume. That would be covered by Edot,in. Edot,in includes heat by fluid flow into the control volume, heat conducted into the control volume through its boundary, and work done on the boundary of the control volume by the surroundings.

For more details, presenting the material in a more precise manner, see Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena.

Chet

Yes, there is gears and oil. Ok So it is

##\dot E_g -\dot E_{out}= \dot E_{st}##
thanks

Related to Formulating the control volume for a mechanical system

What is a control volume in a mechanical system?

A control volume in a mechanical system is a defined region in space that is used to analyze the flow of matter and energy. It is typically a fixed or moving boundary that encloses a specific area of interest, such as a pump or heat exchanger, and is used to study the interactions and changes that occur within that area.

How do you formulate a control volume for a mechanical system?

To formulate a control volume for a mechanical system, you must first identify the boundaries of the system and determine the inputs and outputs of matter and energy. Then, you must choose the appropriate equations and laws, such as mass and energy conservation, to describe the behavior of the system. Finally, you can apply these equations to the control volume to analyze the flow and interactions within the system.

What are the advantages of using a control volume in mechanical systems?

There are several advantages to using a control volume in mechanical systems. It allows for a simplified analysis of complex systems by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable regions. It also provides a consistent framework for analyzing different types of systems and allows for the application of fundamental laws and equations. Additionally, a control volume can help identify areas of inefficiency or potential improvements in a system.

What are some common mistakes when formulating a control volume?

One common mistake when formulating a control volume is not properly defining the boundaries of the system. This can lead to incorrect calculations and analysis. Another mistake is not considering all the inputs and outputs of matter and energy, which can result in an incomplete understanding of the system. It is also important to choose the appropriate equations and laws for the specific system being studied, as using incorrect ones can lead to inaccurate results.

How can the control volume be adjusted for different types of mechanical systems?

The control volume can be adjusted for different types of mechanical systems by considering the specific characteristics and behaviors of the system. For example, for a system with compressible fluids, the equations for conservation of mass and energy must be modified to account for changes in density. For systems with multiple inlets and outlets, a more complex control volume with multiple boundaries may need to be formulated. It is important to tailor the control volume to the specific system being studied to ensure accurate analysis and results.