Formulating a Method of Steepest Ascent on Lie Groups

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for optimizing a differentiable function on a compact Lie group. The method involves taking the logarithm of a point on the identity component of the group and adding a multiple of the gradient of the function to it. However, the issue arises in determining the analogue of the gradient for Lie groups. One suggestion is to use a bi-invariant Riemannian metric to define the gradient, which would put it on the tangent space at the identity rather than at a specific point on the group. Another suggestion is to use pushforwards on the left-multiplication map to map the gradient to the tangent space at the identity. Both of these suggestions require further exploration to determine their effectiveness.
Mandelbroth
Suppose we have a compact Lie group ##G##, and a differentiable function ##f:G_0\to\mathbb{R}## from the identity component of ##G## to the real numbers. I'm looking to maximize the value of this function.

Being something of a neophyte at optimization, especially of this kind, I decided to stick with something I thought I knew well: the method of steepest ascent. Long story short, I'm having trouble with generalizing the concept to Lie groups.

My idea was fairly simple. We start with some point ##p## on the identity component of ##G##, and then we take the logarithm of this point (that is, we take the inverse of the exponential map) because we want to add something to it. As a note, I justified this by saying that, if the point had more than one value for the logarithm, I could just pick one (every point on ##G_0## has at least one logarithm). Then, I would add some multiple of ##\nabla f_p## to ##\log(p)##, and finish by exponentiating to get ##p'=\exp(c\nabla f_p + \log(p))=\exp(c\nabla f_p)p##. Repeat.

The problem is, I can't figure out what I would use for the analogue of the gradient. Maybe I'm just not seeing something? I don't know. Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mandelbroth said:
The problem is, I can't figure out what I would use for the analogue of the gradient.

Not sure if this helps (the question is way outside my area of study), but you can always fix a (bi-invariant) Riemannian metric and define gradients using that.

jgens said:
Not sure if this helps (the question is way outside my area of study), but you can always fix a (bi-invariant) Riemannian metric and define gradients using that.
I'm unfamiliar with this concept, but Wikipedia claims to know something about this. To fact-check, you're suggesting that I could introduce a Riemannian metric ##g## and define ##\nabla f_p## by ##g_p(\nabla f_p, X_p)=X_p(f)##?

Wouldn't that put ##\nabla f_p## on ##T_p G## and not ##T_e G## (where ##e## is the identity on ##G##), though?

Correct definition. You could also use pushforwards on the relevant left-multiplication map to map vectors TGp into vectors TGe. Invariance of the metric should ensure this is pretty well-behaved with respect to the gradient too.

Last edited:

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your struggle with generalizing the method of steepest ascent to Lie groups. Let's break down your idea and see where the issue might lie.

Firstly, the method of steepest ascent in its traditional form is used to maximize a function in Euclidean space. In this case, we are dealing with a compact Lie group, which is a more abstract mathematical structure. So, we need to think about how this method can be adapted to work in this setting.

You mentioned taking the logarithm of the point in order to add something to it. This is a reasonable approach, as the logarithm is the inverse of the exponential map and can be thought of as a way to "move" in the group. However, the issue here is that the gradient of a function in Euclidean space is a vector, whereas in a Lie group, the tangent space at a point is a Lie algebra. So, we need to think about how to define a "direction" or "vector" in the Lie algebra that corresponds to the gradient of the function.

One way to do this is to use the notion of the tangent space at a point in the Lie group. This tangent space can be thought of as the set of all tangent vectors at that point, and it is isomorphic to the Lie algebra of the group. So, in a sense, we can think of the tangent space as the "vector space" of the Lie group.

With this in mind, we can define the gradient of a function on a Lie group as a tangent vector at a point that points in the direction of steepest ascent. This can be done using the pushforward map, which maps vectors in the Lie algebra to tangent vectors on the Lie group.

So, in summary, to adapt the method of steepest ascent to Lie groups, we need to use the notion of the tangent space and the pushforward map to define the gradient of a function on the Lie group. This will allow us to apply the same principles of the method of steepest ascent to maximize a function on a compact Lie group.

I hope this helps nudge you in the right direction. Good luck with your research!

Related to Formulating a Method of Steepest Ascent on Lie Groups

1. What is a Lie group?

A Lie group is a mathematical concept that combines the ideas of a group (a set of objects with a defined operation) and a smooth manifold (a space that locally looks like Euclidean space).

2. Why is the method of steepest ascent important in Lie group formulations?

The method of steepest ascent is a powerful optimization technique that allows us to find the steepest direction of change in a given function. This is useful in Lie group formulations because it helps us find the most efficient path to a desired solution.

3. How does the method of steepest ascent work on Lie groups?

The method of steepest ascent on Lie groups involves finding the tangent vector at a given point on the group, then projecting it onto the tangent space at that point. This projection gives us the direction of steepest ascent, which we can use to update our current position on the group.

4. Can the method of steepest ascent be applied to any Lie group?

Yes, the method of steepest ascent can be applied to any Lie group as long as the group has a defined operation and a smooth manifold structure. However, the specific implementation of the method may vary depending on the structure of the group.

5. Are there any limitations to using the method of steepest ascent on Lie groups?

One limitation is that the method of steepest ascent may not always converge to the global optimum. It may also require a large number of iterations to reach the desired solution. Additionally, the method may be sensitive to the initial starting point on the Lie group.