Formula unexplained in textbook

In summary, an unexplained formula in a textbook is a mathematical or scientific equation that is not fully explained, making it difficult for students to understand and apply. Formulas may be left unexplained for various reasons, and it is not recommended to use them without a thorough understanding. Authors and publishers can improve explanations by providing more examples and resources, as well as encouraging feedback and revisions based on student input.
fahraynk
I am seeing this formula in a textbook, unexplained. Can someone tell me the origin, the book just says it is an identity.

$$Re(Ee^{jwt})=\frac{1}{2}(Ee^{jwt}+E^*e^{-jwt})$$
The book doesn't explain what ##E^*## is, it just lists the formula. Re = real, as in take the real part. E is the electric field, but I guess it could also be any dummy variable.

Does this formula have a name, so that I can figure out what ##E^*## is?

Physics news on Phys.org
##E^*## is the complex conjugate. The formula is simply ##Re(z+\bar{z}) = 2Re(z)##.

Likes jim mcnamara and fahraynk

Related to Formula unexplained in textbook

What is a formula unexplained in a textbook?

A formula unexplained in a textbook is a mathematical or scientific equation or expression that is not fully explained or defined in a textbook. This means that the formula may not have a clear explanation or context, making it difficult for students to understand and apply.

Why are formulas left unexplained in textbooks?

Formulas may be left unexplained in textbooks for a variety of reasons. The textbook may assume that the reader has prior knowledge and understanding of the formula, or the author may have omitted an explanation for the sake of brevity. In some cases, the formula may be a complex concept that is difficult to explain in a concise manner.

What should I do if I encounter an unexplained formula in a textbook?

If you come across an unexplained formula in a textbook, you can try to research it further online or consult with your teacher or professor for clarification. You can also try to break down the formula into smaller parts and see if you can make any connections to other concepts you have learned.

Can I still use an unexplained formula in my work or calculations?

It is not recommended to use an unexplained formula in your work or calculations without a thorough understanding of its meaning and context. Using a formula without fully understanding it can lead to errors and inaccuracies in your work.

What can authors and publishers do to improve textbook explanations of formulas?

To improve textbook explanations of formulas, authors and publishers can provide more examples and step-by-step explanations, include relevant diagrams or illustrations, and provide supplemental materials or online resources for further understanding. They can also encourage feedback and make revisions based on student feedback.