Formula to calculate start up torque

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the start up torque in inch pounds for a plastic tube with a shaft and ball bearings on each end, similar to a conveyor roller. The goal is to measure the force needed to start the tube and build a machine for repeatable and reliable measurements. There are some discrepancies in the provided formula and the correct calculation, and further discussion is needed to clarify the problem and find the correct solution.
tpa
How to calculate the start up torque in inch pounds to start a plastic tube of 1.90" OD x 1.50" Id that has a shaft and ball bearings on each end. The shaft will be supported on each end, and will not rotate. The tube is horizontal. It would be similar to putting a conveyor roller in a frame, taping a string over the center so it hangs down both side equally with buckets on each side of equal weight, then add weight to one side only until the roller moves.. How much force did that take in inch pounds? That is what I want to measure and need a formula for it. Then I want to be able to build a machine to measure same, if you have any ideas on that too. Something repeatable and reliable.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tell you what ... You've described the measurement approach exactly ... build it and go from there.

Likes Nidum
The problems I have are these:
1. I still need a formula to that shows how to calculate the value.
2. The machine I am talking about needs to be able to measure the value of at minimum 3500 different tubes per day. On a production basis. I don't know if that could be accomplished by using a wheel on an electric motor that touches the tube and then we measure resistance of the motor and convert to inch pounds or by using a Stair gauge somehow, but its the volume of measurements per day that presents the challenge.
3. what formula would one use to calculate the breakaway torque (per roller) required to start a 5 pound box that sits on 6 - 1.90" OD rollers going down a 3.5 degree downslope.

tpa said:
breakaway torque
Think about it.

(1) You can get an estimate of bearing friction torque from manufacturers data . For small bearings with light loads and using oil lubricants it is usually next to nothing .

(2) If the rollers are designed properly then you are not going to get any large differences between them - so why test them all ?

To give a more complete answer to this question we need to see a drawing of the roller assembly .

Nidum,
Customer is demanding values for start up torque for every roller produced. Even though they are all the same product. My way of thinking is that first we need to establish how much start up torque is required to get that 5 pound box to free start when it sits on 4 to 6 rollers, then divide that value by the number of rollers to get a "per roller value". We do not have the formula that will give us that answer, hence the request for how to calculate that value.

Then, simplistically, we need to be able to test every to verify the roller was under the value required or if it's over the value will need to rework or scrap.
For the formula of how many inch pounds of force to start a 3 pound box on 4.0 degree slope on 1.9"OD rollers I have seen this data, maybe you can verify if it is correct.
F start = W * Sin 4.0 degrees
= 3 lb * Sin 4.0 degrees
= .157lbs
F Start roll = .157/6 rollers = .026 lbs
F Start roll = Torque start/radius of roller
= To/radius
= To/.95
To = .026 * .95 = .025 inch pounds

Attached is the only information I have ever seen on start up torque. Included is a sample roller drawing of a 1.9" OD roller with ball bearings each end and a shaft through the bore of the bearings. The shaft ends mount in a frame and the roller tube turns.

can you verify the calculation is correct for a 3 pound box on 6 rollers on a 4 degree slope is correct?

Attachments

• Start up torque and roller drawing.pdf
    107.2 KB · Views: 407
tpa said:
F start = W * Sin 4.0 degrees
= 3 lb * Sin 4.0 degrees
= .157lbs
A bit of a problem there. You seem to have used the Sin of 3o instead of 4o.
= 0.209lbs
0.209/6 = 0.0349
0.0349 *0.95 = 0.033 inch lbs

Thanks for the correction, as I mentioned it is the only formula for this calculation I could find and it was printed that way. The math I can correct, the real question is, is the formula correct??

Formula/approach looks good to me.

I do miss things on occassion, so responses from others are encouraged.

What say folks, is the math procedure correct for the stated problem?

Have fun in a production environment, that's only 1/2 Ounce of torque on the roller periphery.

That calculation is for conveyor starting torque, where as problem definition appears to suggest quality control.

@tpa Please clarify whether the box is being pushed to start it up the slope or down the slope .

The calculation method and the answers given are in any case not correct .

I'll come back later but in the meantime see if you can find the source of the error .

Clue : If it takes a tangential force of Ftr to start one roller then what is the sum of the tangential forces needed to start six rollers ?

Last edited:
Likes tkyoung75
The box is placed on the conveyor rollers and must "self start" with no assist down the conveyor.
That is the formula I am looking for. How do you calculate the start up torque required for a self start in this scenario "per roller" under the box.

Related to Formula to calculate start up torque

1. What is the formula to calculate start up torque?

The formula to calculate start up torque is: T = (P * 60) / (2 * π * n), where T is the torque in pound-feet (lb-ft), P is the power in horsepower (hp), n is the rotational speed in revolutions per minute (RPM), and π is the mathematical constant pi (approximately equal to 3.14).

2. Why is it important to calculate start up torque?

Calculating start up torque is important because it helps determine the amount of force needed to start a motor or engine. This information is crucial for selecting the appropriate motor or engine for a specific application and ensuring it can handle the initial load.

3. What factors can affect the start up torque of a motor or engine?

The start up torque of a motor or engine can be affected by several factors, including the type and size of the motor or engine, the weight and resistance of the load, and the ambient temperature. In some cases, the type of power supply or the condition of the motor or engine can also impact the start up torque.

4. How can the start up torque be increased?

The start up torque can be increased by using a motor or engine with a higher horsepower rating, reducing the load on the motor or engine, or using a gear reducer to increase the torque output. In some cases, adding a soft starter or variable frequency drive can also help increase the start up torque.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with start up torque?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when working with start up torque. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and use appropriate personal protective equipment. Make sure to secure and ground all electrical components properly. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect the motor or engine to ensure safe operation.