Formula of a mixed copper salt

In summary, the conversation discusses a mixed salt formula, Cux(OH)yBrz, and an experiment to determine the values of x, y, and z in the formula. The conversation also includes calculations to find the number of moles of Cu2+ and OH- in the product, with a discussion on the relationship between moles of molecules and atoms. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of a hydrate in regards to CuBr2.
wcbryant87

Homework Statement

Cu2+OH-, and Br- form a mixed salt formula Cux(OH)yBrz. In an experiment to determine the values of x, y, and z in the formula of this compound, .760 g CuBr2 (223.4 g/mol) was dissolved in water and reacted with 10.22 ml 0.555M NaOH. Assume that in this reaction, all of the Cu2+ from the CuBr2 and all of the OH- from the NaOH were incorporated into the product but that not all of the Br- was used.

Calculate the number of moles of Cu2+ and OH- in the product.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

10.22mL * 1/1000L * .555M NaOH = .00567 mols OH-
I think that is right...but it's finding the moles of Cu that is stumping me.

.760g CuBr2 * 2H2O * 1/259.4 = .00293 mol CuBr2

Now I don't know how to get from that to mols of just Cu. I don't have a volume or anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
.760g CuBr2 * 2H2O * 1/259.4 = .00293 mol CuBr2

2H2O? Two water molecules? Where did they come from?

I don't know how to get from that to mols of just Cu.

If you have a dozen bicycles, how many tires do you have? Two dozen, right?
If you have a dozen molecules of CuBr2, how many atoms of Cu do you have? Two dozen.

A mol is just a quantity. Like dozens.

So if you have a mol of CuBr2 molecules, how many moles of Cu do you have?

alxm said:
2H2O? Two water molecules? Where did they come from?

If you have a dozen bicycles, how many tires do you have? Two dozen, right?
If you have a dozen molecules of CuBr2, how many atoms of Cu do you have? Two dozen.

A mol is just a quantity. Like dozens.

So if you have a mol of CuBr2 molecules, how many moles of Cu do you have?

The 2H2O is because it's a hydrate.

You kind of lost me on the dozen analogy though. If you have a dozen CuBr2 molecules wouldn't that just be a dozen Cu atoms?

wcbryant87 said:
If you have a dozen CuBr2 molecules wouldn't that just be a dozen Cu atoms?

Yes, that's probably what alxm meant.

Why do you think CuBr2 is hydrated? Judging from the molar mass given it is not.

wcbryant87 said:
The 2H2O is because it's a hydrate.

Do you know that? Typically these problems would include that information if it was needed, e.g. by writing CuBr2*2H2O.

You kind of lost me on the dozen analogy though. If you have a dozen CuBr2ical molecules wouldn't that just be a dozen Cu atoms?

Whoops, my mind must've slipped. Yes, a dozen Cu and two dozen Br.
(Typical.. screwing up a perfectly simple analogy)

Related to Formula of a mixed copper salt

What is the formula of a mixed copper salt?

The formula of a mixed copper salt depends on the specific compounds that are mixed together. It can be determined by balancing the charges of the ions present in the mixture.

What are some common examples of mixed copper salts?

Some common examples of mixed copper salts include copper sulfate pentahydrate (CuSO4•5H2O), copper nitrate trihydrate (Cu(NO3)2•3H2O), and copper acetate monohydrate (Cu(CH3COO)2•H2O).

How are mixed copper salts prepared?

Mixed copper salts can be prepared by mixing solutions of two or more compounds containing copper ions. The resulting mixture will form a precipitate, which can be filtered and dried to obtain the mixed copper salt.

What are the properties of mixed copper salts?

Mixed copper salts generally have similar properties to their individual components, but with some variations depending on the proportions of each compound in the mixture. They may have different colors, melting points, and solubilities compared to the individual salts.

What are the uses of mixed copper salts?

Mixed copper salts have various uses in industries such as agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and textiles. They can be used as catalysts, pigments, and preservatives, among other applications.