Formula for magnetic field of solenoid

In summary, the formula for the magnetic field at the center of a solenoid is B = k\mu_0 In/L, where B is the magnetic field, I is the current, k is the permeability constant, \mu is the magnetic permeability, n is the number of turns, and L is the length of the solenoid. To find the magnetic field at a distance from the center, the Biot-Savart law must be applied, which involves integrating the contributions from all current elements. At a distance much larger than the length and diameter of the solenoid, the formula is B = (\mu R^2nI)/2d^2, where R is the radius of the solen
Gosuto Inu
Hi!
I need formula for magnetic field of solenoid on axis of solenoid in some distance from center.Also I need something about interaction magnetic field on material point(interaction solenoid on material point).I want to know force that infuence on material point. Thx in advance and sry for my bad english :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
Gosuto Inu said:
Hi!
I need formula for magnetic field of solenoid on axis of solenoid in some distance from center.Also I need something about interaction magnetic field on material point(interaction solenoid on material point).I want to know force that infuence on material point. Thx in advance and sry for my bad english :-p
The field at the center is:

[tex]B = k\mu_0 In/L[/tex]

where B = magnetic field; I = current; k = permeability constant [itex]\mu/\mu_0[/itex]; and n = number of turns; L = length of solenoid.

To find the B at a distance from the center you have to apply the Biot-Savart law which is pretty complicated for a solenoid. You have to integrate the contributions from all the current elements of each loop. At a large distance from the center (large compared to the length and diameter of the solenoid) it would be something like:

[tex]B = \frac{\mu R^2nI}{2d^2}[/tex]

where R is the radius of the solenoid; d is the distance away; n is no of turns;

AM

Last edited:

Related to Formula for magnetic field of solenoid

What is the formula for the magnetic field of a solenoid?

The formula for the magnetic field of a solenoid is B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

How do you calculate the number of turns per unit length in a solenoid?

The number of turns per unit length in a solenoid can be calculated by dividing the total number of turns by the length of the solenoid. This is known as the pitch of the solenoid.

What is the significance of the permeability of free space in the formula for the magnetic field of a solenoid?

The permeability of free space, denoted as μ₀, is a physical constant that represents the ability of a vacuum to support magnetic fields. It is necessary in the formula for the magnetic field of a solenoid as it relates the strength of the magnetic field to the current and number of turns in the solenoid.

How does the current flowing through a solenoid affect its magnetic field?

The magnetic field of a solenoid is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field also increases. Similarly, as the current decreases, the magnetic field decreases.

Can the formula for the magnetic field of a solenoid be applied to other shapes or objects?

The formula for the magnetic field of a solenoid is specific to the shape and structure of a solenoid. It cannot be directly applied to other shapes or objects. However, some modifications can be made to adapt the formula for similar structures, such as a helical coil or a toroid.