Formula for electric potential

In summary, the formula for electric potential (V) of a charged disc with uniform charge density and radius r, when x is very large compared to r, is V=kQ/x. This can be proven by multiplying the formula by a fraction of (sqrt{x^2+r^2}+x) and simplifying, assuming that all terms under the square root are approaching x. Alternatively, the formula can also be derived by taking a differential ring on the charged plate and integrating from r=0 to r=R, where R is the radius of the plate.
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

I need to prove that the formula for electric potential (V) of a charged disc (with radius r) and with a uniform charge density, that
V=2kpisigma\(sqrt{x^2+r^2}-x)

when x is very large compared to r, and Q is the total charge of the disk, that this formula reduces to V=kQ/x

Homework Equations

Shown above

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried multiplying by a fraction of (sqrt{x^2+r^2}+x) as both numer and denom, and worked through it to get V=2kpisigma(4xsqrt{x^2+r^2})/(sqrt{x^2+r^2}+x)

Here I assumed that all under the square root was approaching x, so simplified as

V=kpisigma4x^2/x

But now I don't know if I've been doing this right..

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a differential ring in the charged plate, with a radius say 'r' and thickness say 'dr', then what charge does it posses?
Assuming the surface charge density to be sigma, you can find the charge covered by the differential ring. Now you must know the formula for the potential at a point due to a ring (on the axis). If you know that, then you can find the potential at the required point (at a distance 'x' as per your question) due to the differential ring. It will be only in terms of a single differential, 'dr'. Just integrate it from r=0 to r=R (where i am assuming R to be the radius of the plate), you will have the required expression!

Related to Formula for electric potential

What is the formula for electric potential?

The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that measures the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space, while electric field is a vector quantity that measures the force per unit charge at a given point in space.

What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V). This is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

Can the formula for electric potential be used for both point charges and continuous charge distributions?

Yes, the formula for electric potential can be used for both point charges and continuous charge distributions. For continuous charge distributions, the formula would involve an integration over the charge distribution.

What is the significance of electric potential in practical applications?

Electric potential is an important concept in understanding and analyzing various electrical systems and devices, such as batteries, capacitors, and circuits. It is also used in fields such as electrochemistry, where it plays a crucial role in chemical reactions involving electricity.