Formula and Combining Compounds

In summary, when combining Pb2+ and CrO42- ions, the formula for the compound is PbCrO4, not Pb2(CrO4)2 as originally thought. The name should be written as Lead(II) Chromate to specify the charge of lead.
cheerspens

Homework Statement

What is the formula and name of the compound by combining Pb2+ and CrO42-

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was Pb2(CrO4)2 - Lead Chromate.
Why is this wrong and how do I correct it?

Physics news on Phys.org
When writing ionic compounds, you use the smallest number ratio between the ions; you don't always "switch" the charges. Instead of a 2:2 ratio, use a 1:1 ratio for the formula, PbCrO4.
The name is wrong because you need to specify the charge of lead since it has a variable charge.

By the way...

Pb2+[/sub] = Plumbous
Pb4+[/sub] = Plumbic

Is PbCrO4 - Lead II Chromate correct?

Looks Ok to me, but Eglish nomenclature is not my forte.

That'll work too.

I just prefer the old system.

Lead(II) Chromate is good.

Related to Formula and Combining Compounds

1. What is a chemical formula?

A chemical formula is a symbolic representation of a chemical compound, which shows the types and numbers of atoms present in the compound.

2. How are chemical formulas written?

Chemical formulas are written using the symbols of the elements present in the compound, along with subscripts to indicate the number of atoms of each element. For example, the chemical formula for water is H2O, which shows that there are two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom in each molecule of water.

3. What is the purpose of a chemical formula?

The purpose of a chemical formula is to provide a concise and standardized way of representing a chemical compound. It allows scientists to easily communicate and understand the composition of a compound, and is also used for writing chemical equations and determining the mass and properties of a substance.

4. How are compounds formed?

Compounds are formed when two or more elements chemically react with each other, combining in specific ratios to form a new substance. This process is known as a chemical reaction.

5. What is the difference between a molecule and a compound?

A molecule is a group of atoms held together by chemical bonds, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different types of atoms chemically bonded together. All compounds are molecules, but not all molecules are compounds.