Formation Reaction Problems: No Idea how to solve it

In summary, to write formation reactions at 1 atmosphere pressure and 25°C for Mercury (I) chloride solid and Nitroethane (CH3CH2NO2) liquid, it is recommended to ask a teacher for clarification as the temperature given is not at standard conditions. However, the standard method for writing formation reactions can be used if desired.
leftync1128
Write formation reactions at 1 atmosphere pressure and 25°C for each of the following substnaces:
Mercury (I) chloride solid
Nitroethane (CH3CH2NO2) liquid

I have absolutely no idea how to do this. If anyone can help show or explain to me how to solve this, I'd appreciate it

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you sure it is 25 degrees C because the 1 atmosphere (101.325 kpa) is STP but the 25 degrees C is not at STP, but SATP.

If you know how to write normal formation reactions, write it that way. However, do not take my word for law. I'd suggest to ask you teacher if no one else on this forum answers this question.

I understand that formation reactions involve the formation of a compound from its constituent elements. The key to solving these types of problems is to first identify the elements present in the compound and then determine the balanced chemical equation for their formation.

For Mercury (I) chloride solid, the compound is composed of mercury (Hg) and chlorine (Cl). The balanced chemical equation for its formation at standard conditions (1 atm pressure and 25°C) would be:

Hg (s) + Cl2 (g) → HgCl (s)

This reaction shows that one molecule of mercury reacts with one molecule of chlorine gas to form one molecule of mercury (I) chloride solid.

For Nitroethane (CH3CH2NO2) liquid, the compound is composed of carbon (C), hydrogen (H), nitrogen (N), and oxygen (O). The balanced chemical equation for its formation at standard conditions would be:

2 C2H6 (g) + 2 HNO3 (g) → 2 CH3CH2NO2 (l) + 4 H2O (l)

This reaction shows that two molecules of ethane (C2H6) react with two molecules of nitric acid (HNO3) to form two molecules of nitroethane (CH3CH2NO2) liquid and four molecules of water (H2O).

It is important to note that these reactions are balanced in terms of both atoms and charges. This means that the number of each type of atom on both sides of the equation is the same, and the overall charge is also balanced. I hope this helps you understand how to approach formation reaction problems. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me for clarification.

Related to Formation Reaction Problems: No Idea how to solve it

1. What is a formation reaction problem?

A formation reaction problem is a type of chemistry problem that involves determining the enthalpy change (ΔH) for a chemical reaction. This value represents the amount of heat either released or absorbed when a given number of moles of a compound are formed from its constituent elements at standard conditions.

2. How do I know if a problem is a formation reaction problem?

A problem is likely a formation reaction problem if it asks you to calculate the enthalpy change for a given chemical reaction, usually indicated by the symbol ΔH. It may also mention standard conditions, which are 25 degrees Celsius and 1 atmosphere of pressure.

3. What information do I need to solve a formation reaction problem?

To solve a formation reaction problem, you will need to know the balanced chemical equation for the reaction, the enthalpy of formation (ΔH°f) values for each compound involved, and the number of moles of each compound present. This information can typically be found in a reference table or provided in the problem itself.

4. How do I approach solving a formation reaction problem?

The first step in solving a formation reaction problem is to write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, use the given ΔH°f values to calculate the ΔH for each compound in the reaction. Finally, use the stoichiometric coefficients from the balanced equation to determine the overall ΔH for the reaction.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a formation reaction problem?

One common mistake when solving a formation reaction problem is using the wrong ΔH°f values. Make sure to double-check that you are using the correct values for the specific compounds in the reaction. Additionally, be mindful of units and make sure to convert to the correct units if necessary. It is also important to pay attention to the stoichiometric coefficients in the balanced equation to ensure the correct calculations are being made.