Forces pulley and bricks Problem

In summary: What is the point of post #8?In summary, the problem involves a man using a pulley to lower a barrel of bricks. The man and the barrel have different weights and this causes them to move at different accelerations. To solve the problem, two equations are needed, one applying the F=ma law to the barrel and one to the man. By solving for the two unknown variables, the acceleration and tension in the rope can be determined. The relative velocity between the man and the barrel cannot be calculated without a specified time.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

I have a man who is 100kg and a barrel of bricks weighing at 220kg. The man is using a pulley to lower the bricks onto the ground however since they are much higher in weight he rapidly travels up. Then the bricks fall onto the ground and the barrel weighs 60kg since it's lighter than the man, he then rapidly goes down now. I have to find the acceleration of when the man is traveling up and the bricks are going down and when the man is going down and the barrel is going up.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For the man it would be:
Fg=mg
Fg= (100)(9.81)
Fg=981N

For the barrel full of bricks it would be:
Fg= mg
Fg= (220)(9.81)
Fg= 2158.2N

For the barrel that's empty it would be:
Fg= mg
Fg= (60)(9.81)
Fg= 588.6N

I am not quite sure what to do next. All I know is that I have to find acceleration of the barrel and man separately. I thought that I would have to use Fnet = Fg but then there is tension which I do not know. So then I tried to do:
Fnet = ma
Fg = ma
but it does not work of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let M be the mass on the barrel end of the rope and m be the mass of the man, ##a## be the acceleration (which has the same magnitude for both m and M) and T the tension in the rope. Let g be the acceleration due to gravity.

We have five variables, of which only two are unknown: ##a## and T.

This can be solved by writing two equations, one that applies the ##F=ma## law to the barrel and one that applies it to the man. Note that the values of F we use here are the net forces on the accelerated objects, arising from gravity and the tension in the rope.

With two equations and two unknown variables, you should be able to solve the problem.

Likes Veronica_Oles
andrewkirk said:
Let M be the mass on the barrel end of the rope and m be the mass of the man, ##a## be the acceleration (which has the same magnitude for both m and M) and T the tension in the rope. Let g be the acceleration due to gravity.

We have five variables, of which only two are unknown: ##a## and T.

This can be solved by writing two equations, one that applies the ##F=ma## law to the barrel and one that applies it to the man. Note that the values of F we use here are the net forces on the accelerated objects, arising from gravity and the tension in the rope.

With two equations and two unknown variables, you should be able to solve the problem.

I got 4.0m/s2 for the first acceleration and for the second 2.5m/s2. Still going to find tension.

Each of your two equations will have ##a## and ##T## in them. Substitute the value you got for ##a## into either of the equations and you'll be able to solve for ##T##.

But first check that calc that gave you 4.0 ##ms^{-2}##. I agree with your second answer but for the first one I get a lower answer.

andrewkirk said:
Each of your two equations will have ##a## and ##T## in them. Substitute the value you got for ##a## into either of the equations and you'll be able to solve for ##T##.

But first check that calc that gave you 4.0 ##ms^{-2}##. I agree with your second answer but for the first one I get a lower answer.
Was it 3.6m/s2?

I get 3.67, which rounds to 3.7, not 3.6.

andrewkirk said:
I apologize for that. For Ft I got 1348.875N for my first tension. As for my second 735.750N.

andrewkirk said:

Is the velocity of the man relative to the barrel of bricks 21m/s?

Since both are accelerating in opposite directions, the relative velocity changes over time. A time needs to be specified in order to calculate a relative velocity.

andrewkirk said:
Since both are accelerating in opposite directions, the relative velocity changes over time. A time needs to be specified in order to calculate a relative velocity.
I did relative velocity using formula VBC = VBA + VAC

Veronica_Oles said:
I did relative velocity using formula VBC = VBA + VAC
I do not understand how velocities came into it. Everything up to post #7 concerned forces and accelerations.

Related to Forces pulley and bricks Problem

1. How does a pulley affect the forces in a brick problem?

Using a pulley in a brick problem can change the direction of the force applied, making it easier to lift heavy objects. The pulley essentially distributes the force over multiple ropes, reducing the overall force needed to lift the brick.

2. What is the relationship between the number of pulleys and the force required to lift a brick?

The more pulleys used in a brick problem, the less force is required to lift the brick. This is because each pulley reduces the force needed by distributing it over multiple ropes.

3. How do friction and weight affect the forces in a brick problem?

Friction and weight both play a role in the forces needed to lift a brick. Friction can make it more difficult to lift the brick, while weight adds to the overall force needed to lift it.

4. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted. A fixed pulley only changes the direction of the force, while a movable pulley also reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object.

5. Can the forces in a brick problem ever be completely eliminated?

No, the forces in a brick problem can never be completely eliminated. However, using pulleys can reduce the amount of force needed to lift the object, making it easier to lift heavy objects.