Forces on multiple cylindrical magnets stacked

In summary, when multiple cylindrical magnets are stacked, they can create a strong magnetic force due to the alignment of their poles. This force is strongest at the ends of the stack and weaker in the middle, creating a gradient of magnetic attraction. The direction of the force is determined by the orientation of the magnets and can be used to either attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials. Additionally, the strength of the force can be affected by the distance between the magnets and the size and strength of each individual magnet in the stack.
julie827
I am trying to calculate the forces between ten small cylindrical magnets stacked (inside a tube so they cannot flip/shift) so that consecutive magnets are repelling. The bottom magnet is attatched to the bottom of the tube with, let's say, the positive pole facing up. Then the second has a positive pole facing down, third has it facing up.. etc. So they appear to be floating above each other. I have a stick which i can use to push on the top magnet and compress the space between each magnet.
If anyone could give some insight on how to calculate the force between the magnets or how to find the maximum force I can push down on them with, it would be really helpful because I can't seem to find much online with this kind of set-up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, julie827! :smile:

The force between magnets is not so straight forward as the force between electric charges I'm afraid.
Here's the wikipedia article that describes the force between magnets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_between_magnets

Specifically it has a section named "Force between two cylindrical magnets".
From it you can deduce that for cylindrical magnets of height t and separation x in extreme cases you get:
$$F \approx {C \over x^4}\qquad\textrm{if x >> t}$$
$$F \approx {C \over x^2}\qquad\textrm{if x << t}$$

Last edited:
would this mean that I would have to find the force between each possible set of two magnets? so 1 with 2, 1 with 3, 1 with 4.. etc?

julie827 said:
would this mean that I would have to find the force between each possible set of two magnets? so 1 with 2, 1 with 3, 1 with 4.. etc?

If you keep the tube horizontal, the forces and distances between the magnets will be the same. They will balance out.

If you keep the tube vertical and if you cannot neglect the weight of the magnets themselves, yes, you will have to find the force between each set of 2 magnets.

For my purposes, the tube will be verticle.
thanks for the help! I guess it's just a lot of calculations now...

Good luck!

For the vertical tube, the downwards force from above on any magnet in the tube will equal the weight of all the magnets above that magnet, plus any force you apply to the top magnet. The magnets will space themselves so that the magnetic forces cancel the gravitational and any external force applied to the top magnet. The downwards force at the bottom the tube will equal the weight of all the magnets plus any force applied to the top magnet.

I like Serena said:
Welcome to PF, julie827! :smile:

The force between magnets is not so straight forward as the force between electric charges I'm afraid.
Here's the wikipedia article that describes the force between magnets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_between_magnets

Specifically it has a section named "Force between two cylindrical magnets".
From it you can deduce that for cylindrical magnets of height t and separation x in extreme cases you get:
$$F \approx {C \over x^4}\qquad\textrm{if x >> t}$$
$$F \approx {C \over x^2}\qquad\textrm{if x << t}$$

I don’t blame you but I’ve found a number of problems with that Wiki page.

(1) If you do the maths then when x>>t, F goes to zero.
(2) In the formula just below the heading you mentioned, there’s a term R^6/t^4 missing.
(3) But look at this statement: (at the end of that same chapter)
Which matches the expression of the force between two magnetic dipoles.
F in that formula is proportional to x^-4 whereas earlier on F was worked out to be proportional to r^-2. ( x and r are both representing the same distance).

Per Oni said:
I don’t blame you but I’ve found a number of problems with that Wiki page.

(1) If you do the maths then when x>>t, F goes to zero.

Huh? :confused:
How do you get that?
The first term at x=∞ of the Taylor expansion is:
$$\frac 3 2 \pi\mu_0 M^2 R^4 t^2 {1 \over x^4}$$
As you can see here.
Just like the article says.

Per Oni said:
(2) In the formula just below the heading you mentioned, there’s a term R^6/t^4 missing.

I tried to find another reference to compare the formula but couldn't find one.
Do you have a reference?

Per Oni said:
(3) But look at this statement: (at the end of that same chapter)
Which matches the expression of the force between two magnetic dipoles.

F in that formula is proportional to x^-4 whereas earlier on F was worked out to be proportional to r^-2. ( x and r are both representing the same distance).

Erm... earlier two poles were mentioned, not two dipoles.

As you can see here, in a magnetic dipole ##F \propto r^{-4}##.

Ok I slipped up badly. Also I need to make mare use of Wolfram to do my maths. Thanks anyway.

To determine the force without doing a billion calculations, I used a scale to measure the force (in kg's). I put the magnets (arranged so they repel: north-south then south-north then north-south etc) in a tube and then capped one end. I put a dowel in the other end and pushed the magnets together so that they were almost all touching (there was a tiny gap between at least two of the magnets). Then, I used the scale to push the dowel and thus the magnets together and recorded the force in kg's. What I found was that no matter how many magnets I had in the tube (two through to nine), the force was about the same. Does this make sense? or have I done something wrong?

julie827 said:
What I found was that no matter how many magnets I had in the tube (two through to nine), the force was about the same. Does this make sense?
Yes, it makes sense. The forces on the first magnet must cancel or else the magnet would be accelerating. The forces on the first magnet are the force from the dowel on one side and the repelling force from the second magnet on the other side. The force that the first magnet exerts on the second magnet is equal and opposing to the repelling force the second magnet exerts on the first magnet, which was equal and opposing to the force on the first magnet from the dowel. So the forces between magnets, dowel and the other end of the tube have the same magnitude, regardless of the number of magnets. The gap between magnets vary a bit with the number of magnets due to the attractive force between every other magnet, such as a 2 magnet case versus a 3 magnet case, but this may be too small a difference to notice.

If you oriented the tube vertically, then the force on each magnet would be the weight of the remaining magnets above, and the gaps would be smaller at the bottom than at the top.

Related to Forces on multiple cylindrical magnets stacked

1. What is the force between multiple cylindrical magnets stacked together?

The force between multiple cylindrical magnets stacked together is dependent on several factors, including the strength of the magnets, the distance between them, and their orientation. This force can be attractive or repulsive, and is described by the formula F = (μ0/4π) * (m1 * m2)/d^2, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, m1 and m2 are the magnetic dipole moments of the magnets, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does the number of magnets affect the total force?

The number of magnets does not directly affect the total force between them, but it can indirectly impact the force by changing the distance between the magnets. The more magnets that are stacked together, the smaller the distance between them, which can result in a stronger force.

3. Can the force between stacked cylindrical magnets be increased?

Yes, the force between stacked cylindrical magnets can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnets or decreasing the distance between them. Additionally, arranging the magnets in a specific orientation, such as alternating north and south poles, can also increase the force.

4. Is there a limit to the number of magnets that can be stacked together?

There is no specific limit to the number of magnets that can be stacked together. However, as more magnets are added, the force between them may reach a maximum and then decrease as the distance between them becomes too small.

5. How does the shape of the magnets affect the force between them?

The shape of the magnets can affect the force between them in a few ways. Cylindrical magnets have a higher magnetic field strength along their axis, so stacking them with their axes aligned will result in a stronger force. Additionally, the shape can impact the distance between the magnets and the orientation in which they are stacked, both of which can affect the force between them.