Forces on a Positively Charged Particle in an Electric & Magnetic Field

In summary, assuming the particle in Figure P24.62 is positively charged, the force due to the electric field is directed out of the plane of the paper and the force due to the magnetic field is directed into the plane of the paper. This can be determined using the right hand rule, where the thumb represents the velocity, the index finger represents the magnetic field, and the middle finger represents the force. The electric field can be solved for using Coulomb's Law, which defines the relationship between electric force and electric field.
jlmessick88

Homework Statement

Assuming the particle in Figure P24.62 is positively charged, what are the directions of the forces due to the electric field and to the magnetic field?
a. The force due to the electric field is directed up (toward the top of the page); the force due to the magnetic field is directed down (toward the bottom of the page).
b. The force due to the electric field is directed down (toward the bottom of the page); the force due to the magnetic field is directed up (toward the top of the page).
c. The force due to the electric field is directed out of the plane of the paper; the force due to the magnetic field is directed into the plane of the paper.
d. The force due to the electric field is directed into the plane of the paper; the force due to the magnetic field is directed out of the plane of the paper.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now if i use the right hand rule where my thumb is the velocity, my index finger is the mag. field, and my middle finger is the force, then the mag. field is pointed up and the force on the proton is pointed out of the plane of the paper...but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to solve for the electric field??
any suggestions??

Attachments

• Q3.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org

The force that an electric field exerts on a positively charged particle is parallel to the field. (For a negatively charged particle, it's in the opposite direction, antiparallel to the field.)

so with that in mind, the electric field would be directed out the plane of the paper?

jlmessick88 said:

Homework Statement

Assuming the particle in Figure P24.62 is positively charged, what are the directions of the forces due to the electric field and to the magnetic field?
a. The force due to the electric field is directed up (toward the top of the page); the force due to the magnetic field is directed down (toward the bottom of the page).
b. The force due to the electric field is directed down (toward the bottom of the page); the force due to the magnetic field is directed up (toward the top of the page).
c. The force due to the electric field is directed out of the plane of the paper; the force due to the magnetic field is directed into the plane of the paper.
d. The force due to the electric field is directed into the plane of the paper; the force due to the magnetic field is directed out of the plane of the paper.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now if i use the right hand rule where my thumb is the velocity, my index finger is the mag. field, and my middle finger is the force, then the mag. field is pointed up and the force on the proton is pointed out of the plane of the paper...but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to solve for the electric field??
any suggestions??

That's a right hand rule I haven't seen before, but it seems to work. I usually point my four fingers in direction of the Velocity vector of the particle, curl my fingers in the direction of the Magnetic Field Vector, and my thumb points in the direction of the Mag. Force.

For your question, you should first think about how Electric Fields are defined starting from Coulomb's Law. That ought to take you into the correct direction on figuring out the Electric Force on the positive particle due to the Electric Field.

Maxwellkid said:
That's a right hand rule I haven't seen before, but it seems to work. I usually point my four fingers in direction of the Velocity vector of the particle, curl my fingers in the direction of the Magnetic Field Vector, and my thumb points in the direction of the Mag. Force.
It's the way I first learned it (I mean the RHR that jlmessick88 described), and still my favorite variation of the right-hand rule. Partially because it doubles as a frisbee grip :wink: but I digress.

jlmessick88 said:
any suggestions??

how can you get your middle finger to point down if you place your palm facing upwards? There are 2 ways you can position your index finger to point out of the xy plane.

I don't think that's a sound version of the right hand rule. try it the other way. Also, if you are using electrons as your particle, then you can switch hands to form the LEFT hand rule!

i guess I'm still not getting it...everything that i read shows that the electric field and the mag. field are always perpendicular...all of my answers indicate that they are opposite from each other...how??

Related to Forces on a Positively Charged Particle in an Electric & Magnetic Field

1. What is the difference between an electric field and a magnetic field?

An electric field is created by stationary charges, while a magnetic field is created by moving charges. Additionally, an electric field exerts a force on any charged particle, while a magnetic field only exerts a force on a moving charged particle.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields affect a positively charged particle?

Both electric and magnetic fields exert a force on a positively charged particle. The electric field will cause the particle to accelerate in the direction of the field, while the magnetic field will cause the particle to move in a circular path perpendicular to the field.

3. What is the equation for calculating the force on a positively charged particle in an electric and magnetic field?

The force on a positively charged particle in an electric and magnetic field can be calculated using the equation F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the motion of a positively charged particle?

The direction of the magnetic field will determine the direction of the circular motion of the positively charged particle. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the particle's velocity, the particle will move in a circular path. If the magnetic field is parallel to the particle's velocity, there will be no force exerted on the particle.

5. Can a positively charged particle experience both an electric and magnetic force simultaneously?

Yes, a positively charged particle can experience both an electric and magnetic force simultaneously. This is known as the Lorentz force and is the combination of the electric and magnetic forces on a charged particle.