Forces on a plane exerted by a ball

In summary, the only force the ball can exert on the plane is its weight, which points straight down. When drawing a free body diagram for the ball on an inclined plane, it is important to consider the normal and frictional forces, which are caused by the gravitational force exerted by Earth. Similarly, when lying down with a heavy book on your back, you feel the normal force of the book pushing on you, but the reaction force of your back pushing on the book cannot be distinguished. This is because forces always come in pairs, according to Newton's third law.
blueblast
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.03.14 PM.png

Could someone please provide a diagram of all the forces acting on the plane, and explain why the answer is E?

This is from the 2014 F=MA exam.

Thanks,

blueblast

Physics news on Phys.org
The only force the ball can exert on the plane is its weight, which points straight down.

NFuller said:
The only force the ball can exert on the plane is its weight, which points straight down.

This is completely wrong o_O .

blueblast said:
Could someone please provide a diagram of all the forces acting on the plane, and explain why the answer is E?

What are your thoughts on this ?

Draw a free body diagram listing all the forces on the ball ? Think carefully about the condition that the ball rolls without slipping on the inclined plane .

Last edited:
Likes Nidum
conscience said:
You're right, apparently I'm too distracted right now to think straight...

conscience said:
What are your thoughts on this ?

Draw a free body diagram listing all the forces on the ball ? Think carefully about the condition that the ball rolls without slipping on the inclined plane .

This is what I have so far:
Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.03.14 PM copy.png

Now this is how my teacher explained it:
Every force has an equal and opposite reaction, so the friction force acting on the ball has a force that acts the other way.
The normal force that pushes the ball up also has a force that pushes the plane down, so:
Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.03.14 PM copy.png

But where did gravity go?

blueblast said:
But where did gravity go?

Is force due to gravity on the ball exerted by the inclined plane ?

Note : You have been asked to find the direction of force by the ball on the inclined plane .

Last edited:
conscience said:
Is force due to gravity on the ball exerted by the inclined plane ?

Note : You have been asked to find the direction of force by the ball on the inclined plane .

The gravity on the ball is not exerted by the plane, but doesn't it still have a weight that pushes down on the plane?

blueblast said:
The gravity on the ball is not exerted by the plane, but doesn't it still have a weight that pushes down on the plane?

This is not how you think . Weight is not the force by which the ball pushes on the plane .Weight is the force of gravity exerted by Earth .

It is the Normal force from the ball which pushes the inclined plane in a direction perpendicular to the plane .And it is the frictional force from the ball which exerts a force along the inclined plane surface .

Likes blueblast
But presence of normal and frictional forces in the given problem is due to gravitational force exerted by Earth . If force of gravity is somehow absent , then zero normal force , zero frictional force . Ball stays in the place where it is put without exerting any force on the inclined plane :smile:

conscience said:
This is not how you think . Weight is not the force by which the ball pushes on the plane .Weight is the force of gravity exerted by Earth .

It is the Normal force from the ball which pushes the inclined plane in a direction perpendicular to the plane .And it is the frictional force from the ball which exerts a force along the inclined plane surface .
It's getting clearer to me now, but I'm still confused about gravity. If I'm lying down, and someone puts a heavy book on my back, wouldn't I feel the book pushing down on me?

blueblast said:
It's getting clearer to me now, but I'm still confused about gravity. If I'm lying down, and someone puts a heavy book on my back, wouldn't I feel the book pushing down on me?

You definitely would feel book pushing down on you .

Earth pulls you towards its center by exerting a gravitational force .Earth also pulls the book towards its center .Due to this a Normal contact force develops between you and the book , as well as between you and the floor .It is this Normal force from the book which you feel as the force from the book which pushes you down .

The normal force from the floor pushes you up .

conscience said:
You definitely would feel book pushing down on you .

Earth pulls you towards its center by exerting a gravitational force .Earth also pulls the book towards its center .Due to this a Normal contact force develops between you and the book , as well as between you and the floor .It is this Normal force from the book which you feel as the force from the book which pushes you down .

The normal force from the floor pushes you up .

So regarding just me and the book, I would push up on the book(normal force). Then, the reaction force of the book pushing on me would be what I feel.

Is this right?

blueblast said:
So regarding just me and the book, I would push up on the book(normal force). Then, the reaction force of the book pushing on me would be what I feel.

Is this right?

Yes

Likes blueblast
The hard part in this question is choosing between A, C and E. The direction of the vector in C appears to be normal to the slope. You need to assume that is intentional.

Likes blueblast
blueblast said:
What you actually feel are nerve impulses caused due to the strain in your skin and muscles that are supporting the book.

Whether this strain is due to you pushing on the book or due to the book pushing on you is not answerable and not relevant. Newton's third law says that forces come in pairs. You cannot have the force of your back on the book without having the force of the book on your back. No possible experiment can can tell which one of those you "feel" because you cannot remove them one at a time to see which one was responsible for the sensation.

Likes blueblast and conscience

Related to Forces on a plane exerted by a ball

1. How does the weight of a ball affect the force it exerts on a plane?

The weight of a ball affects the force it exerts on a plane through the principle of action and reaction. When the ball is dropped onto the plane, it exerts a downward force on the plane due to its weight, and the plane exerts an equal and opposite force on the ball, causing it to bounce off the plane.

2. What is the relationship between the speed of the ball and the force it exerts on a plane?

The faster the ball is moving, the greater the force it will exert on the plane upon impact. This is because the momentum of the ball increases with its speed, resulting in a stronger force being exerted on the plane.

3. Can the angle at which the ball hits the plane affect the force it exerts?

Yes, the angle at which the ball hits the plane can affect the force it exerts. If the ball hits the plane at a perpendicular angle, the force will be evenly distributed. However, if the ball hits the plane at an angle, the force will be concentrated on a smaller area, resulting in a stronger impact force.

4. How does the mass of the ball impact the force it exerts on a plane?

The mass of the ball directly affects the force it exerts on the plane. A heavier ball will exert a greater force on the plane compared to a lighter ball, assuming they are both travelling at the same speed and hit the plane at the same angle.

5. Is there a limit to the force that a ball can exert on a plane?

Yes, there is a limit to the force that a ball can exert on a plane. This is determined by the strength and durability of the materials used to construct the plane. If the force exceeds this limit, it can cause damage to the plane.