Forces on a body with vectors (IWTSE.org)

In summary: ABC is equilateral. All 3 strings have the same length. All 3 vertices of the triangle A,B,C lie at the plane z=4 which is perpendicular to the z-axis.Step 2.The...vector ##\vec{OP}## will be parallel to the z-axis (which z axis is perpendicular to the plane of the triangle z=4). So the triangle OPB (and also the triangles OPA and OPC) will be right triangle with the right angle at O. We know the side PB=4(=PA=PC) and also it is standard process to calculate the distance OB (for an equilateral triangle) that is the distance of the center from a
TomK
Homework Statement
The correct answer is [(20/3)g]N.
Relevant Equations
Vectors, forces in equilibrium.
Question.jpg

Working.jpg

My Working 1.jpg

My Working 2.jpg

I think I've made a mistake with the vectors. I was trying to get to the same point as the original working (made by IWTSE, not me), but one of the sides of a triangle can't be 0. I would appreciate some help.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I can’t follow your working but see if this helps.

A, B and C are the tops (points of attachment) of each string. They have the same z-coordinate (4) and therefore all lie in the (horizontal) plane z=4.

Can you show AB = BC = AC = 6? Remember the distance between points [itex] (x_1, y_1, z_1)[/itex] and [itex](x_2, y_2, z_2)[/itex] is [itex] √[(x_1-x_2)^2 + (y_1-y_2)^2 + (z_1-z_2)^2)]. [/itex]

This means A, B and C form an equilateral triangle in a horizontal plane.

The 3 strings are equal lengths so, by symmetry, the mass (at P) must be vertically below the centre of triangle ABC.

Can you work out the angle, θ, between each string and the vertical using simple geometry/trig’?

By symmetry the 3 tensions are equal. Each has a vertical component Tcosθ. So in the vertical direction [itex] 3Tcosθ = 10g [/itex] which gives T.

EDIT
Please note that when you write (for example) [itex] \vec{AB} = -\vec{OA} + \vec{OB} [/itex] you *cannot* simply put the magnitudes of each vector into the equation. You have to do proper vector addition which takes each vector's direction into account. The simplest method is to separately combine x, y and z components.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Steve4Physics said:
I can’t follow your working but see if this helps.

A, B and C are the tops (points of attachment) of each string. They have the same z-coordinate (4) and therefore all lie in the (horizontal) plane z=4.

Can you show AB = BC = AC = 6? Remember the distance between points [itex] (x_1, y_1, z_1)[/itex] and [itex](x_2, y_2, z_2)[/itex] is [itex] √[(x_1-x_2)^2 + (y_1-y_2)^2 + (z_1-z_2)^2)]. [/itex]

This means A, B and C form an equilateral triangle in a horizontal plane.

The 3 strings are equal lengths so, by symmetry, the mass (at P) must be vertically below the centre of triangle ABC.

Can you work out the angle, θ, between each string and the vertical using simple geometry/trig’?

By symmetry the 3 tensions are equal. Each has a vertical component Tcosθ. So in the vertical direction [itex] 3Tcosθ = 10g [/itex] which gives T.

EDIT
Please note that when you write (for example) [itex] \vec{AB} = -\vec{OA} + \vec{OB} [/itex] you *cannot* simply put the magnitudes of each vector into the equation. You have to do proper vector addition which takes each vector's direction into account. The simplest method is to separately combine x, y and z components.

I see the mistake I made with the vector addition. Now, I can see that the triangle is equilateral. I understand what you said about the mass lying under the centre of said-triangle, and that the vertical tensions of all three strings must equal 10g.

However, I do not know how to use trigonometry/pythagoras from here. I'm struggling to visualise the problem and know what length the sides of the right-angled triangles would be.

1. The triangle ABC is equilateral
  2. All 3 strings have the same length
  3. All 3 vertices of the triangle A,B,C lie at the plane z=4 which is perpendicular to the z-axis
The above three facts combined can be used to prove that the particle will be exactly below the center O of the triangle ABC, or in other words that the vector ##\vec{OP}## will be parallel to the z-axis (which z axis is perpendicular to the plane of the triangle z=4). So the triangle OPB (and also the triangles OPA and OPC) will be right triangle with the right angle at O. We know the side PB=4(=PA=PC) and also it is standard process to calculate the distance OB (for an equilateral triangle) that is the distance of the center from a vertex. So we can use pythagorean theorem to calculate ##OP=\sqrt{PB^2-OB^2}##. After that we can calculate ##\cos\alpha=\frac{OP}{PB}##. This angle ##\alpha## is the same for each of the strings (the angle that the string make with the side OP). Each vertical component of tension will be ##T\cos\alpha## (from symmetry considerations the tension T of each string is the same) and the sum of them will equal 10g.

Likes Steve4Physics
TomK said:
I see the mistake I made with the vector addition. Now, I can see that the triangle is equilateral. I understand what you said about the mass lying under the centre of said-triangle, and that the vertical tensions of all three strings must equal 10g.

However, I do not know how to use trigonometry/pythagoras from here. I'm struggling to visualise the problem and know what length the sides of the right-angled triangles would be.

Explanation is a bit long. Carefully work through it if you want.

Step 1.

The tops of the strings, A, B and C, form an equilateral triangle in the horizontal plane.

Use this diagram: https://www.treenshop.com/Treenshop/ArticlesPages/FiguresOfInterest_Article/The%20Equilateral%20Triangle_files/image036.gif

a = AB=BC=AC= 6 units.

Step 2.

If you pick any of the small (right-angled) triangles in the diagram you should see:
(a/2)/R = cos(30)
R = (a/2)/cos(30º)

Step 3.

We know a/2 = 6/2 = 3 and cos(30º) = √3/2 which gives:
R = 3/(√3/2) = 6/√3

Step 4.

Call ‘X’ the triangle’s centre. Point P (where the strings join) is vertically below X.

Remember:
AB=BC=AC= 6 (sides of horizontal triangle)
AP=BP=CP = 4 (lengths of strings)

Do a drawing and label points A, B, C, P and X. It’s an inverted triangular pyramid.

Step 5.

Look carefully at your drawing. Note APX is right-angled triangle. We can draw it separately:

X A

P

Step 6.

Note AX = R (which we’ve just worked out) and AP=4 (length of string). Now we can use Pythagoras to find XP::
AP² = XP² + AX²
4² = XP² + (6/√3)²
XP² = 16 – 36/3 = 16 – 12 = 4
XP = 2

Step 7.

If we let θ = APX then cosθ = XP/AP = 2/4 = 1/2

Note θ is the angle between each string and the vertical so we’re nearly there.

Step 8

Now we can use the formula explained in previous post:
3Tcosθ = 10g

T = 10g/(3cosθ) = 10g/(3*(1/2)) = 20g/3

Likes Delta2
One way of doing this problem is by brute force, assuming that all the tensions are non-zero. Let (x,y,z) be the coordinates of point where the object (assumed a particle) is connected to the 3 strings and let T1, T2, and T3 be the tensions in the 3 strings. So there are 6 unknowns, and 6 equations are required. Three of the equations are for matching the lengths of the 3 strings, using the 3D version of the Pythagorean theorem. The other three equations are for the force balances in the x, y and z directions.

Steve4Physics said:
Explanation is a bit long. Carefully work through it if you want.

Step 1.

The tops of the strings, A, B and C, form an equilateral triangle in the horizontal plane.

Use this diagram: https://www.treenshop.com/Treenshop/ArticlesPages/FiguresOfInterest_Article/The%20Equilateral%20Triangle_files/image036.gif

a = AB=BC=AC= 6 units.

Step 2.

If you pick any of the small (right-angled) triangles in the diagram you should see:
(a/2)/R = cos(30)
R = (a/2)/cos(30º)

Step 3.

We know a/2 = 6/2 = 3 and cos(30º) = √3/2 which gives:
R = 3/(√3/2) = 6/√3

Step 4.

Call ‘X’ the triangle’s centre. Point P (where the strings join) is vertically below X.

Remember:
AB=BC=AC= 6 (sides of horizontal triangle)
AP=BP=CP = 4 (lengths of strings)

Do a drawing and label points A, B, C, P and X. It’s an inverted triangular pyramid.

Step 5.

Look carefully at your drawing. Note APX is right-angled triangle. We can draw it separately:

X A

P

Step 6.

Note AX = R (which we’ve just worked out) and AP=4 (length of string). Now we can use Pythagoras to find XP::
AP² = XP² + AX²
4² = XP² + (6/√3)²
XP² = 16 – 36/3 = 16 – 12 = 4
XP = 2

Step 7.

If we let θ = APX then cosθ = XP/AP = 2/4 = 1/2

Note θ is the angle between each string and the vertical so we’re nearly there.

Step 8

Now we can use the formula explained in previous post:
3Tcosθ = 10g

T = 10g/(3cosθ) = 10g/(3*(1/2)) = 20g/3

I understand it now. Thank you.

Related to Forces on a body with vectors (IWTSE.org)

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. How do you calculate the net force on a body with vectors?

To calculate the net force on a body with vectors, you need to find the sum of all the individual forces acting on the body. This can be done by using vector addition, where you add the magnitudes and directions of each force to find the resultant force.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity is a measurement that has only magnitude, such as mass or temperature. A vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

4. How do you represent forces on a body with vectors?

Forces on a body can be represented by drawing arrows with their tails at the point of application and their heads pointing in the direction of the force. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force.

5. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.