Forces of Rolling Homework: Find Frictional Force on Wheel

In summary, a constant horizontal force of 10N is applied to a wheel with a mass of 10kg and a radius of 0.30m, causing it to roll smoothly on a horizontal surface with an acceleration of 0.60m/s2. In unit vector notation, the frictional force on the wheel is (4.0N)i. The correct answer is negative, as the wheel must be pushed in the opposite direction to rotate. In a hypothetical scenario where the wheel is moving due to a torque applied at its center, the frictional force would be in the opposite direction to provide forward acceleration. However, in a realistic situation, the wheel will eventually slow down and topple due to external forces, such as
Lord Anoobis

Homework Statement

A constant horizontal force Fapp of magnitude 10N is applied to a wheel of mass 10 kg and radius 0.30m. The wheel rolls smoothly on the horizontal surface, and the acceleration of its centre of mass has magnitude 0.60m/s2. In unit vector notation, what is the frictional force on the wheel?

The figure in the book shows a wheel on a horizontal surface with the arrow representing the applied force pointing horizontally to the right from the centre of the wheel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I arrived at an answer of F = (4.0N)i. The correct answer is negative. Having given the matter some thought, this is my reasoning. In order for the wheel to rotate when the force is applied, the point on the wheel in contact with the surface must be pushed to the left by the force of friction. That explains the negative sign.

However, let's assume instead that the wheel is moving under the influence of a torque applied to centre, not a horizontal force. Now I'm visualizing the bottom of the wheel pushing against the surface to the left. If the wheel does not slip, the frictional must be countering slipping by pushing to the right.

Is my thinking correct or do I have it back to front?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your thinking is correct. In the exercise the wheel is pulled and the friction makes it turn (no friction -> no turning).
In your 'instead' case, the wheel turns and the friction is what causes the forward acceleration (no firction -> no forward acceleration).

BvU said:
Your thinking is correct. In the exercise the wheel is pulled and the friction makes it turn (no friction -> no turning).
In your 'instead' case, the wheel turns and the friction is what causes the forward acceleration (no firction -> no forward acceleration).
Thank you for clearing that up. Now let's consider a wheel rolling to the right with no applied force. In this case the friction must be acting to the right as well, yes? So as to provide a torque to counter the movement?

Lord Anoobis said:
Thank you for clearing that up. Now let's consider a wheel rolling to the right with no applied force. In this case the friction must be acting to the right as well, yes? So as to provide a torque to counter the movement?
If the wheel is rolling to the right at constant speed, with no applied force acting on it (neglecting air drag and rolling resistance), what is the net force acting on it?

Actually, no ! No such thing as 'torque to counter the movement' exists. Once the wheel is rotating, it will keep rotating at the same angular speed until there is something to change that. Compare ##F = ma## with ##\tau = I\;\alpha##. Zero ##\alpha## means zero friction needed to maintain angular speed.

PhanthomJay said:
If the wheel is rolling to the right at constant speed, with no applied force acting on it (neglecting air drag and rolling resistance), what is the net force acting on it?
Actually I meant in a realistic situation, ie. the wheel slows and eventually topples.

What slows the wheel ?

And do you realize that 'constant speed' and 'the wheel slows' are contradictory ? Sorry, two different authors.

And: Do you realize that 'no applied force' and 'the wheel slows' are contradictory ?

PhanthomJay said:
The net force would be zero. So the friction which allows the wheel to move without slipping is not the one that causes it to slow down?

BvU said:
What slows the wheel ?

And do you realize that 'constant speed' and 'the wheel slows' are contradictory ?
True, but I should have clarified that I was not referring to constant speed in the third case. I meant, what happens if you roll it along the ground in real terms.

As you already hint at, a real wheel on real ground slows down. So there must be a net force in the direction opposite to its motion. You can think of various wheels and various grounds to come up with ways to get such a resultant. E.g. loose sand will slow it down faster than concrete. Why? The sand has to be pushed aside (thus leaving a track with some depth) and it doesn't push 'back up' once the weight goes off again.
A wheel with a tyre: tyre has to be compressed where coming down to the ground. It does push 'back up' when getting off again, but with a slight loss (tyres warm up).

Last edited:
BvU said:
As you already hint at, a real wheel on real ground slows down. So there must be a net force in the direction opposite to its motion. You can think of various wheels and various grounds to come up with ways to get such a resultant. E.g. loose sand will slow it down faster than concrete. Why? The sand has to be pushed aside (thus leaving a track with some depth) and it doesn't push 'back up' once the weight goes off again.
A wheel with a tyre: tyre has to be compressed where coming down to the ground. It does push 'back up' when getting off again, but with a slight loss (tyres warm up).
Okay, I believe I see the light here. It's painfully obvious now and I can't imagine where I got that "countering torque" idea from. Thank so much for the info.

Related to Forces of Rolling Homework: Find Frictional Force on Wheel

1. What is the purpose of finding the frictional force on a rolling wheel?

The purpose of finding the frictional force on a rolling wheel is to understand and analyze the forces that act on an object in motion. By calculating the frictional force, we can determine the resistance that the wheel experiences while rolling and how it affects its movement.

2. How is the frictional force on a wheel calculated?

The frictional force on a wheel can be calculated using the equation Ff = μN, where Ff is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction is a constant that depends on the materials in contact, while the normal force is the force exerted by the ground on the wheel in a direction perpendicular to its surface.

3. What factors affect the frictional force on a rolling wheel?

The main factors that affect the frictional force on a rolling wheel are the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the surface roughness. The type of material the wheel is made of and the surface it is rolling on also play a role in determining the frictional force. Additionally, the speed and direction of the wheel's rotation can affect the frictional force.

4. How does the frictional force on a rolling wheel impact its motion?

The frictional force on a rolling wheel acts in the opposite direction of its movement, causing a resistance that slows down the wheel's motion. This force also determines the maximum speed at which the wheel can roll without slipping. If the frictional force is too high, it can cause the wheel to stop rolling altogether.

5. How can the frictional force on a rolling wheel be reduced?

The frictional force on a rolling wheel can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, lubricating the wheel and surface, and minimizing the weight or load on the wheel. Additionally, increasing the surface area of the wheel can also decrease the frictional force.