Forces between parallel currents

In summary, two beams of electrons with velocities v and -v and carrying a current I are injected into an evacuated chamber. The tendency for the beams to deflect each other is compensated by a magnetic flux density B perpendicular to their plane. The ratio of the magnetic to electric force on each beam due to their mutual interaction is vε0μ0. To calculate the electric force, Coloumb's law is used, which applies to all charges, including moving ones. The electric field of a finite line of charge must be considered in this case.
georgia

Homework Statement

Two narrow beams of electrons with velocities v and -v are injected into an evacuated chamber along the length l. Each beam moves with constant speed and carries a current I. The tendency for the beams to deflect each other through their mutual interaction is compensated by a magnetic flux density B perpendicular to the plane containing the two electron beams so that they travel in parallel straight lines a distance d apart (d << l). Show that the ratio f of the magnetic to the electric force on each of the beams due to their mutual interaction is vε0μ0

Homework Equations

For two parallel currents I1 and I2 the force on a length l of I2 is:

F= (μ0*I1*I2*l)/2πd

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation and substituting I1 = I and I2 = -I:

F= -(μ0*I^2*l)/2πd

I don't know what to do now, what is the electric force?

All I know is Coloumb's law but I thought that only applied to static charges?

Physics news on Phys.org
Coloumb's law applies to all charges, stationary or not. However, in this case you need to consider the electric field of a finite line of charge. Have you met this before?

The electric force between two moving charges is given by the Lorentz force law, which states that the force F on a charged particle with charge q moving with velocity v in a magnetic field B is given by the equation:

F = q(v x B)

In this case, the beams of electrons are moving with opposite velocities v and -v, so the force on each beam will be in opposite directions:

F1 = -q(v x B)

F2 = q(-v x B)

Substituting in the value for the magnetic force from the given equation, we get:

F1 = -(μ0*I*v*B)/2πd

F2 = (μ0*I*v*B)/2πd

The net force on each beam will be the sum of the electric and magnetic forces:

F1 = -(μ0*I*v*B)/2πd + q(v x B)

F2 = (μ0*I*v*B)/2πd + q(-v x B)

Since the beams are moving with constant velocity, the electric force will be balanced by the magnetic force, so we can set the two equations equal to each other:

-(μ0*I*v*B)/2πd + q(v x B) = (μ0*I*v*B)/2πd + q(-v x B)

Simplifying and rearranging, we get:

2q(v x B) = (μ0*I*v*B)/πd

Since we know that the force on each beam due to their mutual interaction is equal to the force on the other beam, we can divide both sides by q:

2(v x B) = (μ0*I*v*B)/πd

Finally, we can substitute in the value for the electric field ε0, which is equal to 1/(μ0*c^2), where c is the speed of light:

2(v x B) = (v*ε0*μ0*I*v*B)/πd

Simplifying further, we get:

2(v x B) = (v*ε0*I*B)/πd

Dividing both sides by v, we get:

2(B/v) = (ε0*I*B)/πd

Finally, rearranging to solve for the ratio f of the magnetic to electric force, we get:

f = (B/v)/(ε0*I*B)/πd

f = v/(ε0*I)/πd

f = v

Related to Forces between parallel currents

What are forces between parallel currents?

Forces between parallel currents are the attractive or repulsive forces that act between two parallel currents, which are electric currents flowing in the same direction and in close proximity to each other.

What causes forces between parallel currents?

The forces between parallel currents are caused by the interaction between the magnetic fields generated by the two currents. When two parallel currents are flowing in the same direction, their magnetic fields will interact and create an attractive force. If the currents are flowing in opposite directions, the magnetic fields will repel each other.

How do you calculate the magnitude of the force between parallel currents?

The magnitude of the force between parallel currents can be calculated using the equation F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2πd), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents, L is the length of the currents, and d is the distance between them.

What is the direction of the force between parallel currents?

The direction of the force between parallel currents is perpendicular to the plane formed by the two currents and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your right thumb in the direction of one current and your fingers in the direction of the other current, your palm will face the direction of the force.

What are some real-life applications of forces between parallel currents?

Forces between parallel currents are used in various technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also important in the operation of particle accelerators and in the study of plasma physics. Additionally, these forces play a crucial role in the interaction between electrical wires and magnetic fields in power transmission lines and electronic devices.