Forces between 2 parallel wires=>

In summary, the question asks to determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field, B, at the center of a square formed by four parallel wires carrying equal current of 10A. The attempt at a solution involves drawing a free body diagram and using the equation B=u(Ia)(Ib)l / 2pie(r) to calculate B, but the correct answer is not obtained. The conversation also mentions exploiting symmetries to determine the direction of the B-field.
noobie!

Homework Statement

four long straight parallel wires located at the corners of a square of side l=6cm carry equal current I=10A which is perpendicular.Determine the magnitude and direction of B at the center of the square.

Homework Equations

don't have,so sorry..

The Attempt at a Solution

i begin with drawing a free body diagram where the forces are located.Then i resolve them according to y-axis and x-axis.i use B=u(Ia)(Ib)l / 2pie(r) correct me if I'm wrong,but somehow i can't get the ans..could you please kindly rectify and guide me..thanks a lot..=>:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
noobie! said:

Homework Statement

four long straight parallel wires located at the corners of a square of side l=6cm carry equal current I=10A which is perpendicular.Determine the magnitude and direction of B at the center of the square.

Homework Equations

don't have,so sorry..

The Attempt at a Solution

i begin with drawing a free body diagram where the forces are located.Then i resolve them according to y-axis and x-axis.i use B=u(Ia)(Ib)l / 2pie(r) correct me if I'm wrong,but somehow i can't get the ans..could you please kindly rectify and guide me..thanks a lot..=>:smile:

Are there any symmetries that you think you can exploit?
Such as what are the directions of the B-field at the center point. Do any of them offset each other?

oh,i can figure it out already,thanks for your guidance o:)

Could you please post the answer?
I subscribed to this thread to see the answer :P

Related to Forces between 2 parallel wires=>

1. What is the formula for calculating the force between two parallel wires?

The formula for calculating the force between two parallel wires is F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

2. How does the distance between the wires affect the force between them?

The force between two parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance decreases, the force increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the direction of the force between two parallel wires?

The force between two parallel wires is attractive if the currents are in the same direction, and repulsive if the currents are in opposite directions.

4. How does the current in the wires affect the force between them?

The force between two parallel wires is directly proportional to the product of the currents in the wires. This means that as the current increases, the force also increases.

5. What is the relationship between the length of the wires and the force between them?

The force between two parallel wires is directly proportional to the length of the wires. This means that as the length increases, the force also increases.