Forces and acceleration - two masses instead of one

In summary: F/5.09 + F/1.24= (1/1.24 + 1/5.09)Fa(green) = F/[m(red)/1.24 + m(blue)/5.09]= F/[1.24F/5.09 + 1/1.24 + 1/5.09)]= [1.24 + 5.09 + 1]/5.09= 7.33/5.09= 1.44 m/s^2Okay, so I think I get it now. The .2436 ratio doesn't apply to a(green), but
iJamJL

Homework Statement

A red box and a blue box sit on a horizontal, frictionless surface. When horizontal force F is applied to the red box, its acceleration has magnitude a = 5.09 m/s2.

a) If force F is applied to the blue box, its acceleration has magnitude a = 1.24 m/s2. Find mred/mblue, the ratio of the mass of the red box to the blue box.

b) Now, the two boxes are glued together. If horizontal force F is now applied to the combination, find a-combo, the magnitude of the acceleration of the combination of boxes.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I already correctly answered question a, which came to be a ratio of .2436. The second part, however, always confuses me because there has to be some sort of manipulation. Intuitively, when we put together the two boxes, we are combining their masses, making the total acceleration even smaller than what they were individually. This is true because we are applying the same amount of force to both of the objects. To get the numerical answer for the combined acceleration, I have no idea. I already know that adding the two accelerations together (two vectors in the same direction) and then multiplying it by the ratio (6.33 m/s^2 * .2436) gives me an incorrect answer, so that is probably a poor approach. I'm just stuck, like the rest of the problems I've had. lol it's quite frustrating.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi iJamJL! :smile:
iJamJL said:
A red box and a blue box sit on a horizontal, frictionless surface. When horizontal force F is applied to the red box, its acceleration has magnitude a = 5.09 m/s2.

a) If force F is applied to the blue box, its acceleration has magnitude a = 1.24 m/s2. Find mred/mblue, the ratio of the mass of the red box to the blue box.

b) Now, the two boxes are glued together. If horizontal force F is now applied to the combination, find a-combo, the magnitude of the acceleration of the combination of boxes.

The second part, however, always confuses me because there has to be some sort of manipulation. Intuitively, when we put together the two boxes, we are combining their masses, making the total acceleration even smaller than what they were individually.…

yes, that's right :smile:

so imagine there's a green box, whose mass equals the sum of the masses of the red and blue boxes …

what then? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

yes, that's right :smile:

so imagine there's a green box, whose mass equals the sum of the masses of the red and blue boxes …

what then? :wink:

Hi tiny-tim,

I have to admit, I'm still stuck at where I am. I'm imagining this scenario:

We have three hockey pucks that are colored blue, red, and green (to your suggestion :approve:). The red one travels at 5.09 m/s^2 when I hit it with a certain force. When I hit the blue one, it travels at 1.24 m/s^2. If both of these pucks were to be hit at the exact same time, the blue one would be traveling .2436 times slower than the red one, leaving a gap that is increasing. Now if we introduce the third puck, and hit them all at the same time, the green one is even slower than the blue one because it is the heaviest.

I understand that the balance has to remain. If we have a certain force, that force will not change (in the formula F = ma). When mass increases, acceleration must decrease to keep F the same. I just don't know how to apply numbers to this scenario.

yes, everything you say is correct …

i don't understand why you're not getting this :confused:
iJamJL said:
I understand that the balance has to remain. If we have a certain force, that force will not change (in the formula F = ma). When mass increases, acceleration must decrease to keep F the same. I just don't know how to apply numbers to this scenario.

in other words: mass is inversely proportionate to acceleration

so if the masses were say 2 3 and 5,

the the accelerations would be in the ratios 1/2 1/3 1/5​

Sorry, I get mind blocks with these types of problems. I don't know why I don't understand it either :cry:

tiny-tim said:
in other words: mass is inversely proportionate to acceleration

so if the masses were say 2 3 and 5,

then the accelerations would be in the ratios 1/2 1/3 1/5​

LOL I'm going to take two wild shots at what you're saying because my mind is struggling.

1) Since the mass is inversely proportionate to acceleration, I can say that the accelerations should then be 1/1.24 + 1/5.09, leaving me with a total of about 1.0 m/s^2?

2) The ratio is actually .2436, so that means it should be .2436/1.24 + .2436/5.09, leaving me with a total of .2443 m/s^2.

iJamJL said:
1) Since the mass is inversely proportionate to acceleration, I can say that the accelerations should then be 1/1.24 + 1/5.09

no, the accelerations are 1.24 and 5.09

the masses should be in the ratios 1/1.24 and 1/5.09

I must be stupid, lol. Let me see if I can type this out.

If we start from the beginning, then we have the formula F = ma.

For red, F = m(red) * a(red)
F = m(red) * 5.09

Blue: F = m(blue) * a(blue)
F = m(blue) * 1.24

We combine them, calling it green:
F = m(green) * a(green)
F = [m(red)/1.24 + m(blue)/5.09] * a

lol I'm lost here. If we put the masses in ratios like that, then our formula F = ma becomes F = m(decrease)*a(increase). I don't see where the .2436 ratio applies.

Sorry, tiny-tim. I don't want to have you work it out for me, but I'm just not seeing the solution.

iJamJL said:
For red, F = m(red) * a(red)
F = m(red) * 5.09

Blue: F = m(blue) * a(blue)
F = m(blue) * 1.24

So m(red) = F/5.09

m(blue) = F/1.24

tiny-tim said:
So m(red) = F/5.09

m(blue) = F/1.24

:( I don't know what to do next..

I suppose if we add those two together, m(red) + m(blue) = F/5.09 + F/1.24, and then it'll be 5.1F/5.09, and then we divide it to make 1.0019=a

I think I might've come to another solution, but I do not know how to complete it. Let's take this try:

Red, F = m(red)*a(red)
Blue, F = [m(red)/.2436] * [a(red)*.2436]

If I add the masses, then m(red) + m(red)/.2436 = [1.2436*m(red)]/.2436 = 5.1149

Therefore, the acceleration is 1/5.1149 * 5.09 = .9951

(just got up :zzz:)

i don't follow your last post at all :confused:

this one is nearly correct :smile: (although difficult to follow at the end) …
iJamJL said:
I suppose if we add those two together, m(red) + m(blue) = F/5.09 + F/1.24, and then it'll be 5.1F/5.09, and then we divide it to make 1.0019=a

you'll find these questions easier if you write them out properly, one step at a time

F = 5.09 ma, so ma = (1/5.09)F

F = 1.24 mb, so mb = (1/1.24)F

so ma&b = ma + mb =(1/5.09 + 1/1.24)F = 1.003 F

so the acceleration of a&b = F/ma&b = … ? :wink:

Related to Forces and acceleration - two masses instead of one

1. What is the relationship between forces and acceleration in a system with two masses?

In a system with two masses, the relationship between forces and acceleration is described by Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that the acceleration of the system will be directly proportional to the net force applied to the system and inversely proportional to the total mass of the system.

2. How does the presence of a second mass affect the acceleration of the system?

The presence of a second mass in a system will have an impact on the overall acceleration of the system. This is because the second mass will also experience a force, which will contribute to the net force acting on the system. As a result, the acceleration of the system will be affected by both masses and their respective forces.

3. Can the acceleration of a system with two masses be greater than the acceleration of a system with one mass?

Yes, the acceleration of a system with two masses can be greater than the acceleration of a system with one mass. This can occur if the net force acting on the system with two masses is greater than the net force acting on the system with one mass. In this case, the additional mass will contribute to a greater acceleration of the system.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the acceleration of a system with two masses?

The direction of the force will have a significant impact on the acceleration of a system with two masses. If the force is applied in the same direction as the initial acceleration of the system, it will result in an increase in acceleration. However, if the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will cause the acceleration to decrease or even reverse in direction.

5. Is it possible for a system with two masses to have a constant acceleration?

Yes, it is possible for a system with two masses to have a constant acceleration. This can occur if the net force acting on the system remains constant and there are no external factors that could cause a change in the acceleration. In this case, the masses will continue to accelerate at a constant rate until the net force is altered.