Force resulting from a pressurized departing gas

In summary, the conversation is about finding the resulting force and acceleration of a cylinder with a hole in it, from which gas is escaping. The density of the gas and the mass flow rate are known, as well as the time increment and amount of gas discharged. The question is whether the resulting force is just the weight of the gas discharged or if the velocity of the gas needs to be taken into account. The suggested formula is force = rate of change of momentum, and it is recommended to use SI units for accuracy.
tjhj
Hello,
Thank you for your help.

So if I have a cylinder with a hole in it, and gas escaping from it. How can I find the resulting force that gas is exerting on the cylinder. So I can then find the acceleration it is imparting.

I know the density of the gas 2.85 lb/ft^3, and the mass flow rate of the escaping gas is 69.33 lb/s.

In a very small increment of time .001 milliseconds. There has been 6.933*10-5 lbs discharged.

What is the resulting force on the cylinder? Is it just the lbs of Gas discharged? I know the velocity of the gas is around 4000 ft/s, do I need this to find this out? or is the mass flow rate accounting for it?

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that you need to use force = rate of change of momentum
You should really be using SI units...m, kg, s

Related to Force resulting from a pressurized departing gas

1. What is force resulting from a pressurized departing gas?

The force resulting from a pressurized departing gas is the force exerted by a gas as it exits a container or confined space, due to the pressure built up inside the container.

2. How is the force of a pressurized departing gas calculated?

The force of a pressurized departing gas can be calculated using the formula F = PA, where F is the force, P is the pressure of the gas, and A is the area of the opening through which the gas is exiting.

3. What factors can affect the force of a pressurized departing gas?

The force of a pressurized departing gas can be affected by the pressure of the gas, the size of the opening through which the gas is exiting, and any obstacles or restrictions in the path of the gas flow.

4. What are some practical applications of force resulting from a pressurized departing gas?

Some practical applications of force resulting from a pressurized departing gas include rocket propulsion, pneumatic tools, and airbags in cars.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with pressurized departing gas?

When working with pressurized departing gas, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, follow proper handling and storage procedures, and be aware of potential hazards such as high pressure release or explosion.