Force required to pull a curtain out/in?

In summary: I will definitely follow it! In summary, the expert suggests that the individual should start with an experiment to find out the force required to open or close blinds similar to the system they are looking to build.
LauraMorrison
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hi there, I am currently trying to work out what force I will need to pull the curtain out and in (in the system shown in the attached illustration) so that I can calculate the torque required to turn the black cylinder component and therefore find out what motor I will need.

I am simply looking for a place to start or even a rough outline of how this can be calculated since at the moment I don't even know where to begin. It seems like there are forces all over the place in different dimensions and I am not sure how to simplify this for hand calculation.

If a hand calculation will be too difficult, is there anyway I could set up a simple experiment to calculate it?

Thanks for your time

Attachments

• mesh mechanism.pdf
    556.7 KB · Views: 341
Physics news on Phys.org
There are so many variables in how that system COULD be built that would affect the force required, and you have no dimension listed at all. IMO you would need to start with an experiment and - if you are looking to actually build something like this - probably plan on double the force for the prototype.

Go to a store that sells blinds that are similar and measure the force needed on the cord to open / close the blinds. Tell them it is for a science project. You can probably do it with a fish scale.

Likes LauraMorrison
Windadct said:
There are so many variables in how that system COULD be built that would affect the force required, and you have no dimension listed at all. IMO you would need to start with an experiment and - if you are looking to actually build something like this - probably plan on double the force for the prototype.

Go to a store that sells blinds that are similar and measure the force needed on the cord to open / close the blinds. Tell them it is for a science project. You can probably do it with a fish scale.

Thanks,
really good advice.

Related to Force required to pull a curtain out/in?

1. What is the force required to pull a curtain out/in?

The force required to pull a curtain out/in depends on several factors such as the weight of the curtain, the type of material it is made of, and the friction between the curtain and the rod or track it is attached to. Generally, a force of 5-10 pounds is enough to pull a standard curtain.

2. How does the weight of the curtain affect the force required to pull it out/in?

The weight of the curtain plays a significant role in determining the force required to pull it out/in. A heavier curtain will require more force to move, while a lighter curtain will require less force. It is essential to consider the weight of the curtain when choosing the rod or track it will be attached to.

3. Does the type of material of the curtain affect the force required to pull it out/in?

Yes, the type of material of the curtain can affect the force required to pull it out/in. For example, a curtain made of heavy fabrics like velvet or thick cotton will require more force to move compared to a sheer curtain made of lightweight materials like silk or chiffon.

4. How does friction play a role in the force required to pull a curtain out/in?

Friction is the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In the case of pulling a curtain, friction between the curtain and the rod or track it is attached to can make it harder to move. This can increase the force required to pull the curtain out/in. Lubricating the rod or track can reduce friction and make it easier to move the curtain.

5. Is the force required to pull a curtain out/in the same for all types of curtains?

No, the force required to pull a curtain out/in can vary depending on the type of curtain. For example, a curtain with grommets or rings will require less force to move compared to a curtain with hooks or loops. It is essential to consider the type of curtain when determining the force required to pull it out/in.