Force on a Frictionless Surface

In summary, the crate of mass 111 kg is pushed up a frictionless ramp at a constant speed by a horizontal force F. The magnitude of F is 628.67 N. The crate is not accelerating, so the net force acting on it is zero. The normal force is the only other force besides the gravitational force and the horizontal force F. Using a free body diagram, the normal force is calculated to be 1257.36 N.
tjbateh

Homework Statement

In the figure, a crate of mass m = 111 kg is pushed at a constant speed up a frictionless ramp (θ = 30°) by a horizontal force F . The positive direction of an x-axis is up the ramp, and the positive direction of a y-axis is perpendicular to the ramp. (a) What is the magnitude of F ? (b) What is the magnitude of the normal force on the crate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I got 628.67 N which is correct.

I do not have part B, but I do have some other information that I found, which is correct.

Gravitational Force along x-axis is -544.455 N

Fx component of the applied force is 544.45 N

Fy component of the applied force is -314.341 N

Y component of the gravitational force is -943.023 N

Acceleration components are zero.

And the normal force of the crate is in the positive direction of the y-axis.

Anybody know how to get part B?

Physics news on Phys.org
tjbateh said:

Homework Statement

In the figure, a crate of mass m = 111 kg is pushed at a constant speed up a frictionless ramp (θ = 30°) by a horizontal force F . The positive direction of an x-axis is up the ramp, and the positive direction of a y-axis is perpendicular to the ramp. (a) What is the magnitude of F ? (b) What is the magnitude of the normal force on the crate?Anybody know how to get part B?
Do a free body diagram for the crate. Is the crate accelerating? What does that tell you about the net force (the sum of all forces) acting on the crate? You know the gravitational force and horizontal force F. Is there any other force besides the normal force of the ramp on the crate?

AM

No, there is just the normal force. I got the normal force to be 1257.36 I believe.

Related to Force on a Frictionless Surface

1. What is the concept of force on a frictionless surface?

On a frictionless surface, force refers to the push or pull that an object experiences due to the interaction with another object or its surroundings. It is measured in newtons (N) and can change the state of motion or shape of an object.

2. How does the absence of friction affect the force on a frictionless surface?

Without friction, the force on a frictionless surface remains constant throughout the motion of an object. This is because there is no opposing force to slow down or stop the object's motion, resulting in a constant speed.

3. Can the direction of force change on a frictionless surface?

Yes, the direction of force can change on a frictionless surface. This is because the object's motion is not affected by friction, allowing it to change direction without any resistance.

4. What factors affect the force on a frictionless surface?

The magnitude and direction of the force on a frictionless surface depend on the mass and acceleration of the object. The higher the mass, the greater the force required to move the object. The direction of the force is determined by the direction of the object's motion.

5. How is the force on a frictionless surface calculated?

The force on a frictionless surface can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force (F) is equal to the mass (m) of an object multiplied by its acceleration (a). This can be written as F = ma. Additionally, the vector sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.