Force of Water in 8" Steam Pipe w/ 90° Bend

In summary, an 8" steam pipe that has steam at 80 psia will experience a force of 280 lbs at the end of the pipe if it goes into a 90 degree turn with a short radius.
meggs521
Hey guys, I've been reading threads on here for a little bit and now I have a question I need some help with. I tried doing a search, but I didn't really know what I was looking for so it wasn't too successful. But here it is:

My boss gave me this question to figure out and I'm not really sure where to start. I'm interning with an engineering firm and the following question arose.

If we have an 8" Steam pipe that has steam at 80 psia and some of the steam condenses within the pipe forming a "plug of condensate" about 10' long, how much force will be applied on the end of the pipe if it goes into a 90 degree turn with a short radius?

The velocities I'm supposed to check this for are 4000 fpm, 6000 fpm, and 10000 fpm. I'm currently a sophomore in engineering, so I don't know too much about how to do this. Of course F=ma and all that, but without the acceleration I'm kind of lost.

I also know that in an 8" pipe the mass of water is approximately 21 lbs/ ft, so at 10' there's roughly 210 lbs of water. What sort of equation or method should I be using?

Any help would be very helpful as I'm pretty lost. Here's a picture of the pipe in case my description wasn't good enough.

Thanks again!

~Meg

I also have two alternatives to the 90 degree bend. One is a 45 degree slant and the other simply has the pipe end with a blind flange. I've attached pictures of each of these as well.

Would I solve these two the same way as the above problem?

Attachments

• Plug Pipe.png
    Plug Pipe.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 544
  • Pipe Plug- 45 degree.png
    Pipe Plug- 45 degree.png
    13 KB · Views: 528
  • Pipe Plug- flange.png
    Pipe Plug- flange.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
Answered your question in the engineering forum

Thanks! I reposted it here because I thought it might be more of a general physics problem.

Related to Force of Water in 8" Steam Pipe w/ 90° Bend

1. What is the force of water in an 8" steam pipe with a 90° bend?

The force of water in an 8" steam pipe with a 90° bend depends on various factors such as the flow rate, pipe material, and pressure. It can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the velocity and pressure of the water.

2. How does the force of water change in a 90° bend compared to a straight pipe?

In a 90° bend, the force of water changes due to the change in direction of the flow. This change in direction causes a centrifugal force, which can increase or decrease the overall force of the water depending on the flow rate and other factors. Generally, the force of water in a 90° bend is lower than in a straight pipe.

3. Can the force of water in an 8" steam pipe with a 90° bend be controlled?

Yes, the force of water in an 8" steam pipe with a 90° bend can be controlled by adjusting the flow rate, pressure, and pipe material. By changing these factors, the force of water can be increased or decreased to meet specific requirements.

4. What are the potential dangers of high force water in a steam pipe with a 90° bend?

High force water in a steam pipe with a 90° bend can cause erosion and corrosion of the pipe, leading to leaks and potential hazards. It can also cause damage to other components in the piping system and increase the risk of accidents or malfunctions.

5. How can the force of water in an 8" steam pipe with a 90° bend be measured?

The force of water in an 8" steam pipe with a 90° bend can be measured using specialized instruments such as a pressure gauge or a flow meter. These devices can provide accurate readings of the force of water at various points in the piping system, including at the 90° bend.