Force in The X direction using Lever Arm

In summary, the question asks for the force needed to push a 500 lb car 3 inches forward using a 12 inch long lever arm attached to the wheel axle. The pivot point is at the axle and a cylinder is pushing the arm at the end of it. The solution involves summing the moments about the axle, resulting in a required force of 125 lbs.
drummer8807

Homework Statement

What is the Force Needed in the X direction?

I have a 500 lb Car and attached to the Wheel axle is a 12 inch long lever arm going straight down. The pivot point is at the axle and a cylinder is pushing the arm at the end of it. What force do I need to push this 500 pound car 3 inches forward?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I sum the moments about that axle at which I would get (3*500)-12(Fx) where Fx=125lbs...that number seems high...

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi drummer8807! welcome to pf! :smile:
drummer8807 said:
What is the Force Needed in the X direction?

I have a 500 lb Car and attached to the Wheel axle is a 12 inch long lever arm going straight down. The pivot point is at the axle and a cylinder is pushing the arm at the end of it. What force do I need to push this 500 pound car 3 inches forward?

i don't understand the question :confused:

horizontally, an insect could push it (slowly!)

How much force if I push on that lever arm do I need to move it 3 inches is what I am suppose to find out...

Related to Force in The X direction using Lever Arm

1. What is force in the X direction using lever arm?

Force in the X direction using lever arm refers to the amount of force exerted in a horizontal direction when a lever arm is used to move an object. It is a combination of the force applied and the distance from the pivot point, or fulcrum, of the lever arm.

2. How is force in the X direction calculated using lever arm?

To calculate force in the X direction using lever arm, you need to multiply the force applied by the distance from the fulcrum to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the lever arm length. The formula for this calculation is Fx = F * d, where Fx is the force in the X direction, F is the applied force, and d is the lever arm length.

3. What is the relationship between force and lever arm length?

The relationship between force and lever arm length is an inverse one. This means that as the lever arm length increases, the force required to move an object decreases. Similarly, as the lever arm length decreases, more force is needed to move the object.

4. What are some real-life examples of force in the X direction using lever arm?

Some examples of force in the X direction using lever arm include using a crowbar to lift a heavy object, using scissors to cut paper, and using a wrench to loosen a bolt. These all involve applying force in a horizontal direction using a lever arm to move an object.

5. How does the direction of the lever arm affect force in the X direction?

The direction of the lever arm can affect force in the X direction. If the lever arm is positioned at an angle, the force applied will have a vertical component in addition to the horizontal component. This means that the force in the X direction will be less than the applied force, as some of the force is being used to counteract the vertical component.