Force Equations and Final Speed

In summary, the problem involves a 7.0-kg rock subject to a variable force given by the equation F(x) = 6.0N - (2.0N/m)x + (6.0N/m^2)x^2. The rock is initially at rest at the origin and the goal is to find its speed when it has moved 9.0m. The solution involves finding the work done on the rock, which is then used to calculate the final speed using the equation V_{f}^2 = V_{i}^2 + 2*a*x. The final speed is found to be 20.22m/s. The use of kinematic equations is not appropriate for this problem,
odie5533

Homework Statement

A 7.0-kg rock is subject to a variable force given by the equation
[tex]F(x) = 6.0N - (2.0N/m)x + (6.0N/m^2)x^2[/tex]
If the rock initially is at rest at the origin, find its speed when it has moved 9.0m.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sum F_{x} = 6 - 2x + 6x^2[/tex]
[tex]ma=6 - 2x + 6x^2[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{6}{7} - \frac{2}{7}x + \frac{6}{7}x^2[/tex]
[tex]V_{f}^2 = V_{i}^2 + 2*a*x[/tex]
[tex]V_{f}^2 = 0 + 2(\frac{6}{7} - \frac{2}{7}x + \frac{6}{7}x^2)x[/tex]
[tex]V_{f}^2 = 2(\frac{6}{7} - \frac{2}{7}(9) + \frac{6}{7}(9)^2)(9)[/tex]
[tex]V_{f} = 1219m/s[/tex]

That seems waaay too fast, and I think I should have used an integral/derivative somewhere since the force changes as x changes. I'm rather lost on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
odie5533 said:
[tex]V_{f}^2 = V_{i}^2 + 2*a*x[/tex]
This kinematic equation assumes constant acceleration--not a good assumption for this problem.

Hint: How much work is done on the rock?

I think I have it now.
[tex]W = \int^{9}_{0} 6 - 2x + 6x^2 dx = 1431J[/tex]
[tex]W = \frac{1}{2}mv_{f}^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^2[/tex]
[tex]1431 = \frac{1}{2}7v_{f}^2[/tex]
[tex]v_{f} = 20.22m/s[/tex]

Any improvement?

Looks good to me!

Thanks for the help. I've never done a problem like that, all the ones I've completed so far have used the kinematics equations. I guess I'll have to learn how to apply the work equations better.

Related to Force Equations and Final Speed

What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is force = mass x acceleration (F = m * a). This equation is known as Newton's second law of motion.

What is the unit of force?

The unit of force is measured in Newtons (N). In the equation, mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

How do force equations relate to final speed?

Force equations can be used to calculate an object's final speed by using the formula v² = u² + 2as. In this equation, v represents final speed, u represents initial speed, a represents acceleration, and s represents distance.

What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (size or amount) and direction. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction an object is moving, while speed does not.

Can force equations be used to calculate the final speed of any object?

No, force equations can only be used to calculate the final speed of objects that are experiencing constant acceleration. If an object is experiencing changing acceleration, such as in the case of circular motion, a different set of equations would need to be used.